PWK Papers Unpublished

After reading some of the latest threads I thought some here might appreciate reading these historical papers.

These papers can be found on Klipsh's sitemap but I wanted to call everyone's attention to them because they are such an important insight and understanding of PWK and why properly designed Horns should be respected as one of the best ways to achieve accurate sound reproduction.

850000_Distortion_in_Audio_635110477100100000.pdf

671213_Intermodulation_Distortion_635110476718780000.pdf

• Like 3

Cool Mike - I wasn't aware of these. Good reading material - and apropos to some recent discussions.

It seems that the definition of "intermodulation distortion" may have morphed a bit over time. I'm not surprised.

Chris

• Like 1

PWK Thesis Stanford (December 1933)

Good lord - Terman himself signed PWK's thesis as department adviser. That's a big name, probably the reason why Silicon Valley exists and most of the really big advancements in US defense and intelligence (satellites) of the past 75 years, as well as the modern chip based computer industry.

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

PWK Thesis Stanford (December 1933)

Good lord - Terman himself signed PWK's thesis as thesis adviser. That's a big name, probably the reason why Silicon Valley exists and most of the really big advancements in US defense and intelligence (satellites) of the past 75 years, as well as the modern chip based computer industry.

Chris

Hey Chris.....a few other's PWK networked with....

post-12368-0-56860000-1405033039_thumb.j

• Like 1

Two driving problems created chip-based digital computer development, the technology of which has since transformed human existence.

1) air defense systems that could do intercepting calculations in real time for directing missiles that intercept hostile flying objects, like the systems that Terman initially led in development before moving to Stanford.

2) geophysical reflection seismology data acquisition systems in the field that could automatically record literally hundreds of geophone/hydrophone channels in parallel, but simultaneously able to withstand the physical environments of land and sea that tubes can't withstand. [Texas Instruments was a subdivision of Geophysical Services Incorporated (GSI) when it developed the first silicon transistor (for geophysical use) and eventually the first microprocessor. Jack Kilby later taught at my alma mater.]

PWK worked in the geophysical industry for a while, and has patents on some inventions before joining the Army in WWII, thereafter starting his own loudspeaker development and manufacturing company north of Hope, AR at a location nearby where he was stationed.

I've had the distinct privilege of working in the above two fields, all while tinkering with loudspeaker designs as a hobby. I feel that I understand PWK's points of view, probably due to some of the above in addition to being a second generation engineer in these two fields.

Edited by Chris A

• 3 weeks later...