KLF30's - where to buy?

Jasen

You could try UBID for starters but the shipping prices I would catagory as extortion. Your other choices for used are Ebay,Audiogon,Yahoo auctions as well several unauthorized online dealers for new (UBID is the only authorized I beleive) and this site might have a set pop up every once and a while. Since the KLF line as been retired since the unvaling of the Reference Line your quest will have some obstacles ahead of you.

If you go for the used market you might want to consider some thing of the Heritage line if I could go back in time I'd choose that route! I've got 4 KLF 30's and a C7 center which I'm happy with just wish I was a bit more educated.

I'm sure other folks will chime in here.

------------------

"FULLY LOADED"

J

I have a pair I am willing to sell, but I live in FL and shipping is a couple hundred bucks. JTS is right. Check U-bid for a pair that is covered under warranty. They still have them as well as the matching center from time to time.

what finish are the klf-20's?

if m.oak, anyone want to split a pair?

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

jvc s-vhs-et hi-fi stereo vcr

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Got mine 1 1/2 months ago at Ubid.com. $359 ea plus $224 shipping. Boy that shipping is tough to swallow. But still not bad, under a grand. The bass is better than my KLF-20's.

But the 20's mids sounds a little smoother to me.

Good luck Hunting

Uncle

------------------

Music

KLF-30,

W/Parasound 1500a

Onkyo 5 disc CD

Home Theatre

RP-5,RC-3,RS-3

SVS 29-30cs

W/Parasound 855a

Parasound AVC-2500u

QSC plc2400

Parasound CSE 6.1

KLF-C7, KLF-20, IC-650 on standby for upcoming Theatre Room.

Basement

KG3.5

W/Kenwood system

Twice now, I've been so close to bidding on KLF30's on Ubid but backed away at the last minute.

I've budgeted about $4-5k towards speakers and I could easily get 3 pairs of these and call it a day. However, I keep hesitating.

I've heard these speakers and one of the things I like best about them is the fact that they are dynamic and can easily be run from a decent DD/DTS receiver.

On the other hand, they are big, bulky and since my living quarters are kind of small, there's really no room for them at the moment. BUT, then I know that once I get into a larger place, I will be crying that I didn't get the KLF30's.

What to do? Yikes

Hey Jasen

These speakers are discontinued. They won't last forever. That was my thinking too, but after hearing a friends pair, I had to have them. You're right about big and bulky. But these suckers are mainly just plain 102 pound HEAVY.

I about strained my back getting them up the stairs.

But worth every step.

Uncle

------------------

Music

KLF-30,

W/Parasound HCA-1500a

Onkyo 5 disc CD

Home Theatre

RP-5,RC-3,RS-3

SVS 29-30cs

W/Parasound HCA-855a

Parasound AVC-2500u

QSC plc2400

Parasound CSE 6.1

KLF-C7, KLF-20, IC-650 on standby for upcoming Theatre Room.

Basement

KG3.5

W/Kenwood system

Looking for a Parasound HCA-2505AT, HCA-3500

Go for it Jasen, get a pair (3 pair might be overkill)!

Now's the time to get a KLF-C7 for your center as well, they seem to be listing those lately at uBid.

Yours truly,

Fan of the big purchase, even if it's someone else.

This message has been edited by tripod on 07-30-2002 at 08:19 PM

Thanks Tripod and Uncle for your encouragement! You know I want the 30's LOL!

I'm definitely going to jump in now and take the plunge. Now I just have to figure out what to get.

I know that I want a pair of KLF30's for mains and would love to have a modified KLF30 like HornEd does for his center channel (Looks awesome - how hard is that to do?)

I've heard the 30's before, but have never heard the C-7 center speaker. Is it a good match for the 30's and can it hold it's own? (more importantly, can you understand the dialogue?)

Here's what I'm thinking (remember I have $3k to spend):

Scenario #1 - 2 pair of 30's for mains and rears and 2 C-7's for front center and rear center.

Scenario #2 - 1 pair of 30's for mains and 4 C-7's for center, rear surrounds, rear center.

Scenario #3 - 3 pair of 30's - configured like HornEd's system - using one of the 30's modified for center channel use (probably overkill, but I really like the idea of having the front left, center and right speakers being identical).

Let me know what you guys think. I'm open to suggestions.

Jasen

I'm holding out for cheap La Scala's!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

GET THE 30'S!!!GET'EM GET'EM GET'EM!!!!

avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

jvc s-vhs-et hi-fi stereo vcr

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

I have the 30's and love them. They are however not a speaker that can just be plopped down somewhere at the end of the room and played. When I first got mine I found that they seemed a little hot in the mids. Now a year later having done a little room tweaking and experimentation with placement they no longer sound merely good - They are glorious!!

Be warned also that if your gear isn't up to snuff your new 30's will be merciless in showing you any deficits. I have essentially replaced everything that I started using the 30's with.

As W.C. Fields once noted:

That woman drove me to drink. I never really thanked her properly!!

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

This message has been edited by lynnm on 07-31-2002 at 02:10 PM

Doug - thanks for the input!

Well, I managed to bid on one C-7 center speaker and one pair of the KLF30s. (If I can get HornEd to tell me how to configure a KLF30 as a center, I might spring for another pair).

Question: Why doesn't Ubid end their auctions at the time specified. Apparently the auction has ended but people are still bidding. That sucks!cwm2.gif

Also, it seems like every other day, there has been an auction for 6 KLF30's. Is Ubid just releasing these in certain numbers at a given time? This makes at least 3 times in the past few days that there's been 6 at a time.

Jasen

"Question: Why doesn't Ubid end their auctions at the time specified. Apparently the auction has ended but people are still bidding. That sucks!"

They keep the auction open past the close time until 10 minutes passes with no additional bids. Theoretically, an auction could go on forever if everyone kept bidding. This prevents sniping.

And, yes, Ubid releases inventory in several small batches/auctions.

Doug

------------------

My System