Sonic Frontiers Monoblock Amplifiers - $4500 (Auburn) Wash.

minermark

My goodness that is some beautiful gear. Good luck with landing them.

Thanx, but they are indeed "Imports" canada as it may be, im not willing to pay that kind of scratch and do a 1700+ mile trunaround.

Edited by minermark
  • Like 1

nice amps but at that price there are tons of options, and dont forget the cost to retube those will be very high.....................

Morning Joe, yeah i hear ya, Burt is his name and he did respond in kind really quick, looks to be one nice guy to deal with, he's still on the high side of what im willing to do, hell the trip will be a grand.

Perhaps it's best i sit this one out.

• Like 1

Yep, searching through the Bay, i found a few in the 2K range, and my guy Primamp in Kowloon HongKong can get me pretty much the same, but (New) for $2800 shipped.

So imports as much as i like them, they do have their price limits, 2 to 3K iv set as my limit on power amps, just need to get rid of that, Go get-em feeling.

Think ill take the wife to the local Pub and wash my wants/must haves away, meanwile at the pub i'll be playing hotspot lotto and who knows when i get home? may just have the scratch?

Good Day All, Cheers.

Edited by minermark
  • Like 1

I did not want to say it but I think the sonic frontiers are great build quality, however I thought they sounded dry and analytical, Caveat I never had the monoblock 3, I had the monoblock 1 for a spell..................

IMHO the amps are also overkill for your speakers, in order to get the best out of your setup you really need to bi / tri amp, throw some SS at the Bass and a SET at the mids and highs and you will have a much better sounding stack.............

Plan has worked well so far, drink these out of my system. Cranking some tunes and let it go........Joe is putting some good thoughts in my head, Bi-Amping may very well be on the menu, can do that now in fact, will chime in later, more drinkin is in order, Joe will im sure assist in helpin me w/biamping. :emotion-22::emotion-19::wacko2:

Edited by minermark
  • Like 2

I would start with as cheap a way as possible, then once you see / hear the advantage I would dive in............................for less than the sonic frontiers guy wants you could buy everything to make your set up first rate SQ and still be louder than should be allowed ( IOW Piss Off The Neighbors Loud :D )

items needed

pre amp with dual variable outputs

active crossover

set tube amp for mids and highs

solid state amp for bottom end

patience

of course there are other ways to set up bi-amp, I found this the easiest to set up and control / tune

I would start with as cheap a way as possible, then once you see / hear the advantage I would dive in............................for less than the sonic frontiers guy wants you could buy everything to make your set up first rate SQ and still be louder than should be allowed ( IOW Piss Off The Neighbors Loud :D )

items needed

active crossover

patience

of course there are other ways to set up bi-amp, I found this the easiest to set up and control / tune

Joe, first things first, find me an active crossover suitable for my EAW stack ? Ebay is fine but if you have some other place, im open to it.

• Like 1

Could you explain this a little more, I have a Diy preamp which I was in the process of have dual outputs. By chance would you know what it could take to make one of them or even both variable outputs.

most builders of pre-amps will add a 2nd variable, I have seen where thew will daisy chain them, I personally have used a quality splitter on a single output with great results

I mentioned variable because some pre's have a fixed output that is set and if you hook an amp to that (and the amp has no gain control) you will get a full power, full volume instant shot through what ever speakers are hooked to them

items needed

active crossover

patience

Joe, first things first, find me an active crossover suitable for my EAW stack ? Ebay is fine but if you have some other place, im open to it.

Mark are your passive crossovers set up as 2 or 3 different crossovers (from memory you spoke of a bass one and then finding a crossover inside the mid bins that worked on the mid / highs)

joe

items needed

active crossover

patience

Mark are your passive crossovers set up as 2 or 3 different crossovers (from memory you spoke of a bass one and then finding a crossover inside the mid bins that worked on the mid / highs)

joe

Starting all over, imagin in one stack, you have:

Bass Bin

mid section

tweet horn

No crossovers, none, nada, zip.......what would you do now? back to my original question, ebay Active crossover? yeah, What one >?

Edited by minermark

Most of the stuff on ebay I see is pro audio gear and requires balanced or 1/4 jack connection meaning you will be playing with conversion adapters or all new cables that if you change up your system are a loss

my suggestion is http://www.marchandelec.com/xm9.html

call phil Its free, and he will set up up with one of the best crossovers and it will be 1 of those pieces you will want to keep forever as the are so flexible and can work with countless situations

you will pay a little more for phil marchand but you can rest assured it is one of the best on the market and will sound great, also there is no reason to buy anything more then the xm9 3 way because stepping up to the 44 or 126 has very little or no sonic value (i have had all 3)

once you get something like this bi-amp / tri amp, is a no brainer

• Like 1