Single La scala woofer wanted

kwingylee

Guys:

I picked up a set of LaScalas today with sans woofer in one of the cabinets. These have the AA crossovers so I assume they are from the 70s. Does anyone on the forum have one they want to part with? I presume it's a k-33e ? I will have to pull the woofer from the other cabinet to see what they actually are.

Should be a K-33E square magnet Woofer.

Roger

Well I opened it up and is a K33 with a pretty big round magnet - not sure if it increases the difficulty in finding a suitable replacement. A pair of crites is an option but I rather not do it. I do have a bunch Magnavox 15" woofers that I pulled from consoles that I can try... or maybe even a set of Altecs...

Edited by kwingylee

which Altecs do you have? I have a set of original VOTT cabinets I'd like to refurbish. Have a pair of brand new K33's here NIB.

Colter, I have a set of 416A currently in my Flamencos and a set of 421Hs in my A7 clone cabinets. I was thinking of trying the 421Hs. I also have a number of 15" Magnavox woofers from console pulls that I can try. I prefer to get a K33 if I can find one. Othe rthe Crites ones for $300 shipped via ebay appears to be the only option and I will have to try to sell my single. How much do you want for your k33s?

Any cast aluminum frame (like the pro K43 or Crites 'replacement) will have to have the sides of the basket ground flat to fit in a LS bin. Originals used steel frame basket woofers.

Crites sells two versions on ebay. The stamp steel ones should be a drop in but he does mentioned removing some wood from the LaScala chambers if one chooses to go ofr the cast aluminum ones. Is that what you mean?

Can someone quantify the differences i sound if any?

I have a single Crites stamped woofer NIB if you are interested. I bought it for a project but wound up using something else. It is my understanding that it is drop in for a La Scala and is pretty much identical to a K33. The cast frame woofers that BEC sells are a little more efficient, and maybe a little more robust? PM me if you have any interest, I have been meaning to get it in the garage sale section for a while.