How important is a center channel?

swa99a

Buy can I put it behind the tv I know it sounds crazy but my entertainment stand has lots of space between shelves

not a good idea I would go with the rc and mount it
Agreed, the RC-62 is an excellent match for the RF-62's and will blend seamlessly for your front sound stage.

Will you go 5 or 7 channel some day? If so I'd say something with pre-outs would be a wise decision.

It seems to me that the size of the theater room and intended coverage area would come into play, where things like Haas and precedence effect become important. Those of us with smaller sweet spots to accommodate can get great results with a phantom center, but bigger rooms with more listening positions to the left and right pretty much demand a center speaker.

Seems to be the best answer.

If most of the seating area is in the center of the room, you can use a phantom center. Once you get away from the center of the room, you hear the speaker that you're closer to and loose the phantom center effect.

Which would be the case for 90% of viewing in my house. I went from rf-5s and rc-7 to just cornwalls, and now kp-201s, with phantom center. At the sweet spot and slightly off-axis the effect is most certainly suitable. Way off axis in our "conversation" seating it's not as impressive, but rarely do I have more than 2-3 people watching a movie.

I did notice a dramatic increase in center channel clarity... Previously the rc was nearly on the floor and angled up, whereas now all center content is coming from the mains directly at ear height.

As with all things audio, there is no absolute answer here - it all depends on you needs, room dynamics, and speaker choices.

Since this is HT, you gotta have it for the voice channel. I had PWK's resistor box for 30 years with Khorns and LaScala center, which allows for wide wall spacing. Under 12 feet, you don't need it. Over 15 you do. Went to Klipsch HQ a few weeks ago and their center between Khorns wasn't hooked up, which is silly because there was a definite R and L and NOT a solid wall of sound, which is the ideal behind all stereo configurations.

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 1

about the height placement? seems like i remember the center should be about the same as the midrange driver of the mains. i have read a lot on the subject in previous threads so try going back for some really good info. also, if you are using the long wall for the front then i would think you would want a center. two or three years ago i ask a similar question on the forum about what to use between two LaScalas and was convinced that a like speaker (another LS) was the best way to go! you guys were right, thanks again