Some cosmetic improvements to my LSI splits...

jimjimbo

Bought these from a friend a few months ago, and just hadn't gotten around to doing anything with them. Well, we're having a street party this weekend, and thought I would brighten them up a bit. The wood cabinets themselves had already been painted, so didn't need to do anything with those except dust off....

Took off all of the anodized aluminum trim, (which were pretty beat up), and coated them with 3 coats of Rustoleum Professional Zinc Galvanizing Compound. The color was fairly close to the original anodized color. Then placed 5 applications of a Poly/Acrylic top coat, and let them dry for 2 days. I left all of the stainless steel corner pieces in place, even though there are quite a few scratches, but I liked the "two-tone" look of the original. I think they came out pretty well. Oh yea, and 14 gazillion screws.....thank goodness for my cordless drill....

post-12530-0-19620000-1407866252_thumb.j

post-12530-0-14060000-1407866277_thumb.j

post-12530-0-40020000-1407866300_thumb.j

it's ok Jim, you can say you got them from me. I'd taken the horns out and painted them as the finish had gotten thin, added the nice footies, and recapped the networks with Dayton (brand I think). How'd they sound when you let em breathe outside? hee hee hee

Let's talk for a minute about what a PITA that must have been. I mean they look nice and all, I've had a few individual pieces of the trim off, mainly to get some goop under there to quench rattles. Never taken that much off, would be afraid of bending something or scarring the black fibreglass. Those are some beauties for sure. Now I need to get my minty set recapped. (darned - never sell the GOOD sounding set - arggghh). Still have these 80's split models here for sale, maybe Dean will come get them one day...

Yessirree, they came from the legend himself....they sound great, even with a SS Yamaha receiver (which actually isn't all that bad...) Michael had done a great job on them before passing them on to me, and all I had to do was the trim. I think they look great, and I'm sure the neighbors are going to be "impressed".....

Let's talk for a minute about what a PITA that must have been. I mean they look nice and all, I've had a few individual pieces of the trim off, mainly to get some goop under there to quench rattles. Never taken that much off, would be afraid of bending something or scarring the black fibreglass. Those are some beauties for sure. Now I need to get my minty set recapped. (darned - never sell the GOOD sounding set - arggghh). Still have these 80's split models here for sale, maybe Dean will come get them one day...

Yep, it took quite a while to remove all of those pieces, like I said, thank goodness for my nice Ryobi cordless drill. When I took them off, I made sure that I knew where each came from, which speaker, which side, etc. There was some glue under most all of them, but it had lost it's strength years ago, and most of the pieces came off easily. No problems with scarring the fiberglass at all. Because I didn't remove any of the corner pieces, everything fell right back into place, all of the screw holes lined up, no issues at all. Maybe I was lucky....Thanks again Michael. Hope to see you again soon. Jim

I have a pair of LSIs.... but not with the trim... I like. I have always lusted after the LSIs.

Jim in a few weeks when my crossover comes in, Ill show you what I did with mine... a bit of radical thinking.

Looking forward to it, thanks Justin.