Lascala Question's

NOSValves

Okay I scored these Lascala's from the very fair and nice Danocaster. I need to know just what it is that I have. I take these are some kind of commercial version ? What will they have for a crossover ?

LASCALALEFT.JPG

LASCALARIGHT.JPG

LASCALATERMINALCLOSE.JPG

LASCALATERMINALSFAR.JPG

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

JVC JL-F50 Turn Table

Sony CDP-CA7ES CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I W/Layne Audio Woofers

KSW-15 Subs>c>

HEY NOS-

Wish I could tell you EXACTLY what was in there. When my dealer friend opened them up to verify these was klipsch drivers, etc..I didnt know what to tell him to look for other than Klipsch logo/identification,etc. The serial you can see on the speaker terminal plate and I think someone said they were mid 80s so ,from that, I'm sure someone on this BB can tell you something about what to expect.

Those are what we called "split Industrial LaScala" models. To access the innards of the speakers' top-end sections, the front panel unscrews to allow removal of that section and the crossover network should be to the rear of the upper cabinet. These shared the same tweeters and midrange drivers as regular LaScalas...but the woofer was more "heavy duty", and the crossover network was different. They were designed to handle more power and have protection circuits for the tweeter...the midrange driver is almost bulletproof, so it didn't really need protection circuitry. Although the standard specs for the Industrial woofer in the bass bin show it to not go as low on the bottom end, it can handle more power and can put out more decibels than the standard K-33 woofer....but you also need to read what I wrote in Mobile Homeless's post about these titled "Danocaster's $300 flat black pro LaScalas" posted earlier today...it concerns ACTUAL woofer performance vs. spec woofer performance.

The "split LaScala" design was put into production for two primary reasons...ease of maneuverability by stage hands, and the ability to stack woofer sections and post the high frequency sections atop them for stage array applications.

It appears these were re-painted without removing anything from them...since it appears there is overspray of black paint on the speaker connection modules...not a good thing...hopefully the painter at least stuffed something into the mouthes of the horn lenses when he spray-painted them to keep from gumming up the diaphragms on the drivers...another thing is that the woofers may need to be removed from the bass bins and some compressed air blown through the woofer motorboard to clear the gunk, dust bunnies, and overspray (which always tends to build up in that area)from painting them from the first portion of the folded horn in the bass bins' rear...this will vastly improve their performance!! As a matter of fact, I would recommend this be done on occassion to all older LaScalas...cobwebs and dust bunnies tend to build up in that area...and you will be surprised what else can get in there...also give the cone face of the woofer a good feather dusting while you have it out....makes a big difference!!

------------------

I can now receive private messages

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 07-25-2002 at 10:12 PM

What John Allbright said...the bottom panel is screwed on...it it actually called the "door" to the doghouse section which houses the woofer...the woofer is held onto the motorboard by 4 machine screws which thread into t-nuts that are installed on the back side of the motorboard(where you can't get to them...so...be careful not to strip them out when re-installing the woofers)...once you remove the woofer, you will see the motorboard throat...it is a routed slot...the folded horn fires to both the left and right just past that slot, with a "splitter" piece in the middle of that slot opening attached to the actual back of the speaker. either side of that splitter is the beginning of the folded horn section...that is where you direct the compressed air to blow out the crap that builds up back there over time...don't be too surprised if you find there was quite a bit of crap in that area...and don't forget to clean off the face of the woofer cone with something delicate like a feather duster before replacing the woofers into the doghouse section. Have fun!! Smile.gif

------------------

I can now receive private messages

Hey NOS440---

I have heard a pair of those exact style LaScala's at a church multi-purpose room, and they play L-O-U-D!

BTW Does your handle "NOS440" refer to a Mopar 440 V-8?

Just wondering if another Moparite is also a Klipsch-ite...

Actually IMHO the two complement one another quite well, especially with the huge torque and high decibel output, of the Chrysler big-block wedge / Hemi motors and the large Klipsch speakers of yester-year, respectively.

Keep on Klipsching!

------------------

My Home theatre setup:

*** 5 Cornwall 1s (1984-85 vintage)

*** Technics SA 10 receiver

*** Technics DVD-Audio/CD/DVD Model DVD-A10 player

*** greatly modified (by Musical Concepts) Hafler DH-200 amp

*** modified TP-450 Adcom preamp/tuner

*** greatly modified Dynaco PAT4

*** Sony WEGA 32"

*** Sony VHS Super HI-FI VCR

*** Phillips HI FI VCR recorder

Misc. equipment

*** RCA early DVD player

*** Yamaha high-end '70s vintage tuner

*** Kenwood KD500 concrete-resin base, direct-drive TT with English Mayware low-mass arm

*** Sumiko Bluepoint cartridge

*** very early (circa 1975) Polk Audio Monitor 10s (hand built by the man himself)

*** 2 early Polk Audio LF12 subwoofers

*** prototype KLH TUBE AMP (circa 1967)