Starting 1975 Heresy redo.

longdrive03

Redoing a set of 1975 Heresys for a buddy. Had oak veneer cabinet but changing that to fiddleback anigre. Installed some bracing inside (there was none as you know) and will build up thickness of back by adding 1/4" ply (only 1/2" ply). All speakers work fine and sound surprisingly good. Recapping the crossover with Sonicaps.  Pic is with paint thinner on veneer to show grain.  Will veneer the motor board as well. Will stain honey brown (a little darker than shown).

post-21976-0-20900000-1410279588_thumb.j

Very nice!  Did you trim off the front edge to make it flush?  If so, how did you do that?

I used Sonicaps on my 76 Heresys but they seem a little bit bright.  I think if I was to do it again I would try Mundorf EVO aluminum in oil... not too bad on the price.  They worked well for me in a ALK cornscala-wall network. 

I used Sonicaps on my 76 Heresys but they seem a little bit bright.  I think if I was to do it again I would try Mundorf EVO aluminum in oil... not too bad on the price.  They worked well for me in a ALK cornscala-wall network. 

When I used Sonicaps in my Heresy speakers, I ended up adding a Russian 0.22 uF K40Y-9 PIO capacitor, as a by-pass cap to each Sonicap since the Sonicaps each measured slightly below 2 uF, and liked the result. 

During the last sale in July, I have ordered the Mundorf EVO silver-gold-oil to try in my Heresys along with EVO silver-gold-oil capacitors for an upgrade for my Juicy Music Blueberry pre amp (a couple of values were back-ordered and the caps are finally in and now I need to get everything out to Mark).  I'm not sure of the impact, if any, on the Heresys yets as my travel schedule is still hectic and I haven't had a chance to swap the Mundorfs into the crossover.

post-36163-0-15900000-1410290354_thumb.j

Edited by Fjd

Thanks guys.

I cut the 1/2" overhang around the motor board on table saw with a hair less than3/8" fence setting (plus 1/8" for blade width) and then sounded flat. I originally cut 3/4" square channels around front board and top and bottom to insert solid wood overlapping the veneer but my buddy changed his mind and wanted full width veneer so I started over.

I'll have to check out the caps you guys reference. I'm one hour from Sonicap HQ (Hot Springs) and Bob Crites (Russellville so Sonicaps are easy to get.

Jimbo, I just finished a set of Heresys in bigger box with bigger horn and K-79 tweeters (really not a a Heresy after that) and am shipping them to Chicago next week. Shipping isn't that bad.