So whats with this bi-wiring business anyway?

Rick J B

Seems like it. I have evaluated about 2 dozen different, speaker cables and interconnects. And you?

I tried a couple that an audiophile friend said "Were Great" and they sounded the same as my OFC Copper ones.

How do you know which ones to evaluate? What do you look for?

Solid core copper or stranded? I don't judge a cable until I hear it on a number of systems and/or locations.

Seems like it. I have evaluated about 2 dozen different, speaker cables and interconnects. And you?

I tried a couple that an audiophile friend said "Were Great" and they sounded the same as my OFC Copper ones.

Solid core copper or stranded? I don't judge a cable until I hear it on a number of systems and/or locations.

I use Stranded.... So, what is the Best cable you have found so far?

I use Stranded.... So, what is the Best cable you have found so far?

Can't answer, best is the best that works with one particular set-up.

If best is that works with one particular set-up, then why don't you judge until you've heard it on a number of systems and/or locations?

You are wearing me out dude. If a cable is bright (a lot of silver cables), for example, you wont  want to add it to a system that is already too bright. In that case you might want to add a cable that is a tad warmer. By evaluating cables on a number of systems you can get an idea of the cables overall characteristics. There is no way to do this without extensive listening tests using systems that you know. At that point you will hear some inherent characteristics or you wont. If all cables sound the same to you, your search is over. Your system either can't resolve the changes, you can't resolve the changes, or it makes no impact on your system. It's no different than evaluating any other piece of audio gear. You plug it in to your system and you give it a listen. The result is: it's better, it's worse, it's the same, or it's different (neither better or worse). If you have found something you like, your search is finished...until you try something that is better. There are no shortcuts, you try stuff and you make an evaluation. 

I don't judge a cable until I hear it on a number of systems and/or locations.

When you contradict yourself you lose all credibility.

Why can't you give a straight answer? Are you afraid of something. If someone asks me the Best Amplifier or Speaker that I've heard, I have no trouble giving them my opinion.

Edited by Cut-Throat

If best is that works with one particular set-up, then why don't you judge until you've heard it on a number of systems and/or locations?

You are wearing me out dude. If a cable is bright (a lot of silver cables), for example, you wont  want to add it to a system that is already too bright. In that case you might want to add a cable that is a tad warmer. By evaluating cables on a number of systems you can get an idea of the cables overall characteristics. There is no way to do this without extensive listening tests using systems that you know. At that point you will hear some inherent characteristics or you wont. If all cables sound the same to you, your search is over. Your system either can't resolve the changes, you can't resolve the changes, or it makes no impact on your system. It's no different than evaluating any other piece of audio gear. You plug it in to your system and you give it a listen. The result is: it's better, it's worse, it's the same, or it's different (neither better or worse). If you have found something you like, your search is finished...until you try something that is better. There are no shortcuts, you try stuff and you make an evaluation. 

Or you can get an equalizer and make an exact, known adjustment - no need to try multiple cables and hope to get lucky (or not). 

I don't judge a cable until I hear it on a number of systems and/or locations.

When you contradict yourself you lose all credibility.

Why can't you give a straight answer? Are you afraid of something. If someone asks me the Best Amplifier or Speaker that I've heard, I have no trouble giving them my opinion.

No contradiction, you need to evaluate, quantify, and then apply. I'm being as straight with you as is possible. I'm not afraid of anything obviously, I'm in a cable discussion on the Klipsch website, that should prove something, no? (asbestos underwear at least) There is no best, there is only what works best for your application. I can name a half dozen loudspeaker systems that are all dream systems but they all sound different. They are not wrong, just different. I removed the word best out of my hi-fi vocabulary a long time ago there are just too many really fine systems out there to pick one best system or one best component. If it was that easy, we would all be running the same gear, budget permitting.  

• Like 1

Or you can get an equalizer and make an exact, known adjustment - no need to try multiple cables and hope to get lucky (or not). 

I experimented with equalizers in the early seventies (SAE dual band). That's an awful large amount of circuit and sliders to add to a system. In my case I didn't think it helped, it added grain. I don't hope to get lucky, I have a good selection of cables on hand to try out. Buying the first few is when you need some luck (or good advice).

Edited by russ69