My delima of 7.2 and 2 rooms, which room do I pick?

sully141

So over the past few months I upgraded everything and I want to hook everything up soon. I have rc64 with 2- rf83s 2-rs7s and 2-rb81s with 2 SVS pb12 nsd sub's and a Denon 4520, panamax surge and a pioneer bd62f blu ray player and a 60 inch Samsung 8500. First option but the room won't be ready for a couple month is in the basement all walls are concrete the room is 8.6 ft by 24 ft unfinished. The other is the master bedroom which has five walls. The north wall is 14ft the west wall is 15 and the east wall is about 10 ft and the other 2 walls are about 8 ft. I don't know exact measurements but can get them. I leaning towards the upstairs master bedroom, just wish the basement room was wider and somewhat finished. And I am single so that is why I can put everything in the bedroom and I'll make the spare room the master.

Edited by sully141
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is the layout the door opens to the east wall, and I won't really use the closet. Scrappy suggested couch on east wall with the 81s behind it, and the gear all on the west wall so I can spread things out. If layout won't work that way the I might put the sub's and towers and TV on north wall. I just need to make sure the powermax cord is long enough. Thanks for the help scrappy.

post-51251-0-22340000-1416593583_thumb.j

The other is the master bedroom

Audio design aside for a moment, you know how on MTV Cribs they always say "this is where the magic happens" when going into the master bedroom? They weren't talking about the theater. :) I know you're single now but if you ever meet somebody you're not going to want it in the master bedroom.

I say go for the basement. Yeah it's a little narrow but if you can live with a normal couch and not theater seats that will save enough width where you can still fit 3 people in a row then have two rows. Kind of depends on other things too though. If the basement is damp and musky/moldy, no way. As for the concrete, some of the best theaters out there are concrete bunkers. You'll just have to put up a bunch of sound absorbing material and whatnot. I would just be more concerned about the functionality of the house more than the optimal and easiest place to park your stuff.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

The magic always starts in the HT room... I'm doing a bunch of work on the main level so I wanted to get my stuff away from it. The basement turned into a maybe because of cost. I always wanted a room just for movies so this is the only way right now.

I did a real fast Sketchup of the rooms. Here are the drawings. A sofa is about wall to wall going long ways, so I put a picture of that and the sofa turned the other way. Using the longer wall works much better, and you could do with a much smaller screen, since its so close that if you sneeze you'll have to wipe it off.   You could put RB's on the side walls and use them as surrounds, and use the RS's on the rear wall and make them the rears.   :)

I'm not so sure about upstairs. I don't like the room shape and the windows and doors. It won't be great no matter what, and you are pretty well gonna be a 5.2 rather than a 7.2, IMHO.

post-47699-0-70580000-1416620103_thumb.j

Edited by mustang guy

The 7's are sitting on the sub's for now. Where would I put the rb's and how high should everything be, I also have a 18 and 30 inch stand. The couch is 89 inches long and it reclines so the 7's would work better behind it. The setup will have to go in the basement down the road I'll just have to buy a smaller couch because the basement room is 102 inches wide.

post-51251-0-54960000-1416667974_thumb.j

The BR's would be the right and left high speakers or they wouldn't be used in this HT if they were mine an I were you.

I got to thinking about something. If you can afford a projector, you could use the wall as the screen in the basement, and get it easily 18" further away from the seating position. What's more, others in the room could better see it. It depends on the projector, but I'd say you could have about a 72" screen. You would be able to use the sofa you have. You would have a wall you could mount the 7's on (behind you), and you could use the RB's as highs, wides, or side surrounds. Lastly, you could fit more viewers, control the lighting better, and make the popcorn and beer taste better together.

I got to thinking about something. If you can afford a projector, you could use the wall as the screen in the basement, and get it easily 18" further away from the seating position. What's more, others in the room could better see it. It depends on the projector, but I'd say you could have about a 72" screen.

Put the speakers behind a screen and have a full width 100" or so screen. :) He's got enough depth to make it happen. Surely he could get better than a 72" screen with 24' of depth. I'm sitting here wishing I had a little more than 20' myself.

I got to thinking about something. If you can afford a projector, you could use the wall as the screen in the basement, and get it easily 18" further away from the seating position. What's more, others in the room could better see it. It depends on the projector, but I'd say you could have about a 72" screen.

Put the speakers behind a screen and have a full width 100" or so screen. :) He's got enough depth to make it happen. Surely he could get better than a 72" screen with 24' of depth. I'm sitting here wishing I had a little more than 20' myself.

Not if he uses the long wall for the screen as I believe he should. There are many reasons for this, for instance imaging and room for seating.

• Like 1

The projector idea did pop into my head but that would be later on. I'd still have see about the basement because the house was built in 1948 so I could convert parts of it.

If you could cut a hole in the concrete wall for the projector to sit back in, you could get more diagonal on the screen.

Not if he uses the long wall for the screen as I believe he should. There are many reasons for this, for instance imaging and room for seating.

I just figured you'd be so cramped for space that way that it wouldn't be feasible with a projector, even the smallest ones would make you lose about another foot which is a 7' throw distance, and with nicer ones that would be even less. At that distance and screen size you might as well just stick with a TV. A decent TV would easily kill a small projector setup in my opinion.

With a BenQ W1070 for instance, you would have a 79" diagonal at 7'6" throw. This also places the actual screen a foot farther from the audience. If you bust a hole into the wall, and get 8'6" from the screen, you will get a 90" diagonal.

As for a long narrow room, there are a multitude of reasons I would not do that. You would be better off busting out a wall and having a reasonably wide room. If that is a possibility, it should be considered.

Edited by mustang guy