Need help fixing a receiver - experts please chime in

tigerwoodKhorns

My somewhat less sophisticated Denon 7.1 110 watts per channel has gremlins in it also, for instance---huge volume level differences between the tuner, phono, CD, DVD, Bluray, TV inputs with the FM section having distortion problems. The Loudness control is not working also.These problems happened after a lightning storm which I then had to do a processor reset. It never was the same again. As I recall this unit was about $750.00. I am ready to junk mine and get a new unit but not sure of the brand at this time. My older two channel Denon is working flawlessly and this unit is driven by the 7.1 unit.  

JJK

Yea, this is frustrating.  Everything is designed to go in the trash so these unit get outdated quickly, HDMI, HDMI 3D, Network player, it never ends. 

This unit was highly regarded when it came out and the SQ is very good, so I am hoping to continue to use it with a DVD player, or maybe a processor if I am stuck with just the amplifer section.  I planned on using it for a 2 channel system in a game room, but then I bought some decent HT surround speakers and decided to use it for HT.  I hooked it up and it sounds great, just need to sort this problem out. 

FWIW, I have a Denon receiver that I bought new in 1989 that still works, but it does not sound nearly as good as this one. 

Edited by tigerwoodKhorns

OK, I almost have this sorted out.  The receiver is working fine.

I had it hooked up in a bedroom and I think one of the speaker wires was touching the chassis and causing it to shut down.  That problem went away but I had it stuck in my head that the receiver was bad. 

The test tones work, the receiver just needs a digital bitstream hooked up for some reason. 

The subwoofer also works, I now tried an old CD player and I just need to boost the sub about 9 db to keep up with the horns (the sub is no longer corner loaded).

Sub still does not work with the DVD player.  I switched a the cords (for right channel and sub) and the sub worked and the right channel went silent, so the DVD player is not outputting the sub channel. 

I have a Panasonic BDM500 and I am using the 2 ch + 5.1 analog outs (2 ch hooked to tv).  There are a few places on the internet that point to 60 page threads, but most problems are HDMI related, not analog out. 

Any ideas? 

Edited by tigerwoodKhorns