Entertain your brain

Rudy81

I found much of the presentation very enlightening.  I know from personal experience just how difficult it is to 'remember' what one item being tested sounds like, compared to another. This, when comparing gear minutes from each other.  At least for me, it is just plain difficult to make an objective comparison unless the difference it just gross.

I too have, at times, fallen for the snake oil in the audio industry.  

The only two things I have ever heard that I 'remember' as being better than other things were room treatments and the first set of Oris horns I ever heard.  

I love the various comparisons Ethan makes. 

• Like 1

Of course, very good.  But it has problems.

While it strives to debunk non sequiturs of the audio lunatic fringe, it introduces its own.

No credo is presented up front about the backwards Stairway to Heaven.  Apparently the thought is that when someone presents lyrics, they seem to make sense, even if preposterous.  However, what does this have to do with subjective judgments on audio quality, I ask, rhetorically. Nothing, I say. 

BTW this goes back to The Beatles and I would not put it past Lennon, who did a lot of tape reversal stuff, to encode things, like 'I buried Paul."  But it has nothing to do with subjective reviews of amps or speakers.  And we see this in the Exorcist movie too.  All entertaining but off topic.

The purse ****** is a classic.  Note this has to do with a bunch of people who are witnesses to a visual event.   Yes, it is true that the witnesses never got a good look at the perp and therefore were not able to make a reliable identification.  Again, what does this have to do with audio? 

BTW, a  prof when I was in law school did something similar.  In a big auditorium a woman entered the back area and shouted something and ran away.  No one got a good look. Stuff like this is a lesson on the unreliability of at least some eyewitness identifications.

The prof also said that he tried something similar long ago. As pre-planned, an actor with a fake gun stepped up to the prof while he was lecturing. The actor was supposed to run away after making a threatening gesture.  But a student in the first row was an off duty cop who drew his service piece and almost shot the actor. 

True?  I'm not sure. It is a good story. 

Also note that Winer tells us what we should hear in his demos. I'm certain he is correct. But he is suggesting our conclusions. But wait, isn't that something which is being criticized earlier?

Smile 

WMcD

I like the bit by JJ where he made the A/B box and everyone picked the non functioning Marantz tube amp as sounding the best... Now what does that say about perception?

Edited by ellisr63