KL-120 THX Subs

jjptkd

I believe as the subs have been bested up to 1,400 watts rms, easily handling 1,100, yet I can bottom them out even in a sealed box and can easily trip a breaker if the amp is on the same circuit as my receiver, I have to run two separate circuits.

Thanks for the pic.  I have dual cab sealed subs and use one I Nuke 6000 DSP channel of the amp per driver.  These are great drivers and if you are bottoming out the driver, you are using to much PEQ, bass boost, filter gain, or you don't have enough headroom.  Set the limiters  If you need some help, send me a PM.  This way we will not hijack the thread. :)  The sub looks great!

Edited by derrickdj1

I believe as the subs have been bested up to 1,400 watts rms, easily handling 1,100, yet I can bottom them out even in a sealed box and can easily trip a breaker if the amp is on the same circuit as my receiver, I have to run two separate circuits.

Thanks for the pic.  I have dual cab sealed subs and use one I Nuke 6000 DSP channel of the amp per driver.  These are great drivers and if you are bottoming out the driver, you are using to much PEQ, bass boost, filter gain, or you don't have enough headroom.  Set the limiters  If you need some help, send me a PM.  This way we will not hijack the thread. :)  The sub looks great!

I took the iNuke out of the box and hooked it up.  Haven't messed with any EQ other than cranking up the sub outputs on my Marantz receiver due to a failed attempt at using a QSC amp first.  It doesn't bottom out until there is super low frequencies on an obnoxiously strong recording.  I can do it on the intro to Transformers 4 for example, and not much else.  Otherwise they take anything I throw at them, usually there is so much bass compared to everything else that I turn it down due to the mix sounding bad before I max it out.  I'll pm you when I find some time to play with it.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Thanks for the pic. I have dual cab sealed subs and use one I Nuke 6000 DSP channel of the amp per driver. These are great drivers and if you are bottoming out the driver, you are using to much PEQ, bass boost, filter gain, or you don't have enough headroom. Set the limiters If you need some help, send me a PM. This way we will not hijack the thread. :) The sub looks great!

what a waste! These amps are not set up for sub duty at all from the factory. Your selling your setup short man. If dig into them as soon as possible.
  • Like 1

what a waste! These amps are not set up for sub duty at all from the factory. Your selling your setup short man. If dig into them as soon as possible.

I've had the iNuke for like 4 maybe 5 days.  In that time I've mostly finished an 88 Special build, took out and shipped back an UltiMax, packaged up and shipped back the QSC amp that wasn't working out, as well as the CleanBox, ordered about 10 grand worth of other speakers, and somehow kept my job as well as ran a business plus started another one plus planned a vacation, somehow getting a printer fixed in the meantime.  I'll let you know when I crap a big pile of time so I can play with the DSP.  Or, just come over and do it for me.  :)

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

If you have the I Nuke 6000 DSP, it can be set where the bottoming out is less likely to occur and prevent amp/driver damage.  A little extra caution is needed with Auddysee based systems.

I was a bit disappointed in the sub-sonic realm to be honest, I guess I'll have to get multiple drivers to feel the earthquakes, but in the meantime the subsonic stuff doesn't do much of anything except make me get up and sprint for the gain knob.  I'm happy with the low stuff otherwise, the musical highs aren't as attack-y as I'd like but stuff like on Transformers 4 where what's his name, Lockdown? jumps off a building?  Holy crap.  Scared the hell out of my daughter, she jumped up like the boogeyman was after her. 

I have had to sealed in a large room, Chase SS 1 and they did a good job.  The Ultimax is a stronger driver:  it is all in the setup.  Srappydue and I have been using these amps for sometime and can give you some suggestion on the setup when you are ready.

Where you at? If your local I will gladly come set them up. I'd like to hear the 88 as well. What position did you buy that for? And you missing the bottom end is easily due to the setup. Sealed HAS to be setup right. But hey I work in aviation so I know what it's like being busy with very little free time

Where you at? If your local I will gladly come set them up. I'd like to hear the 88 as well. What position did you buy that for? And you missing the bottom end is easily due to the setup. Sealed HAS to be setup right. But hey I work in aviation so I know what it's like being busy with very little free time

Western Kentucky.  I got the 88 as a test, if I liked it I was going to put three across the front, not sure if I'll still do that or not.  I plan to use it at a drive-in.  I have an old stereo with one channel blown and with an FM tuner that I use by taking the AC inverter on my jeep and running an extension cord but the one speaker that works sucks for that environment.  Going to set the 88 up on a chair and run this stereo into it.  The sound is so bad at this drive-in that I fully expect some major jealousy and copycats. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, finally got both subs up and running in my system. Initial impressions are good but I'm not "blown away" near as much as I expected. Don't get me wrong, they sound great. Very accurate and they hit low. My room had many "dead spots" with the RSW-15, those seem to be completely gone with the new subs. They blend in very well with the Chorus II's, seem to add the bottom end without really standing out as being there, which is perfect. The high bass seems to be near non existent though, at least compared to the RSW-15 which seems to just belt out the high bass. I'm guessing that since I'm not running the Klipsch amplifier which is said to have built in EQ adjustments that these sub cabinets are tuned very low and the KA amplifiers drags out more of the top end out of these.

Also, I'm not sure I have these powered correctly with my Samson amplifier. I have it running in stereo which is 750 watts RMS at 8 ohm. These subs are rated at 600 watts continuous each but the Klipsch amplifier is rated at 1000 watts RMS (500 each) but peak output is rated at over 3000 watts or 1500 watts each. I believe the Samson puts out good continuous power, just not too sure about "peak" output as in not much over rated power or additional headroom.