Defective RF3 Horn Tweeter

azizt

I have for some time owned a pair of Klipsch RB5 bookshelf speakers and have recently upgraded to the RF3 towers. From the beginning, the high-frequencies of one of the RF3 towers seemed a bit tamer than the other, and I had attributed the difference to a possible "break-in period".

However, 4 months later the difference was still there (and infact increased). The horn tweeter seemed to be working fine (there was no distortion) however its level was significantly lower than the other tower.

Unfortunately, as there are no authorized Klipsch dealers in Pakistan, I immediately wrote to Klipsch customer services (support@klipsch.com and parts@klipsch) to see whether a replacement could be shipped to me. However to date I have not received a reply.

As I did not have a choice, I then attempted the unthinkable - I took out the horn tweeter and disassembled the horn assembly. The dome and voice coil were in perfect condition - however, the coil was only partially attached to the dome! (i.e. one side of the coil had come loose).

I used a type of superglue (on the innerside of the coil, due to its low weight/bonding ratio), closed up, and voila - the tower was back to its original brilliance and glory.

Given this experience, I now have serious reservations for Klipsch's quality in its so called "reference" series. Also, I am equally disappointed in Klipsch's customer services for not even bothering to send a reply to a cry of help.

Anyway, the problem seems to be solved (unless the voice coils in the other drivers comes loose). Has anyone else had a similar experience with RF3 towers?

Aziz,

Sorry you received no reply after two attempts to contact us. That is not acceptable customer service. If you want to send me a private message, I'll put you in contact with the group that can attend to your needs.

The loosened voice coil could have been a defective driver, but the likelihood is low as it would have failed our 100% QC testing. It is more likely that overdriving the tweeter caused excessive heat in the voice coil and that is why it came detatched. In either case, we want to help you if you need help.

Again, I apologize for the neglect. On a happier note, we've just expanded our customer service and parts group and relocated it to our corporate headquarters in Indianapolis. This will allow us (me) to oversee the department and minimize experiences such as yours.

Thank you for posting your message. If we never learn of our failures, we can never improve.

Aziz,

Welcome to the BB. Sorry your first post had to do with a problem with your speaker's.

Do not worry about Klipsch quality control. They try very hard to make the best product.

With people like BobG and Trey Cannon watching this board your problem will be corrected.

Again welcome and I hope you enjoy your speakers for many years.

Danny

BobG, thanks for your post.

Although I sometimes listen to fairly loud music, I would have thought that a 100W per channel amp (a Yamaha RXV800) would be sufficient to drive these highly efficient speakers without distortion. I am in fact considering upgrading to a power amp that should further reduce the liklihood of being overdriven.

Given that the horn currently seem to be working fine, do you think that a "superglue solution" is likely to fail in the long run, and I that I should consider replacing the driver?

hey aziz! stick w/klipsch and this bb, lots of help to be had.

btw-i can't help myself...must say it...

AZIZ!!!LIGHT!!!

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

jvc s-vhs-et hi-fi stereo vcr

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

This message has been edited by avman on 07-31-2002 at 11:39 AM

Aziz, I cannot vouch for the long-term durability of the superglue repair. Sounds resonable, but without durability testing, I would not promise it will last. Why not purchase a replacement driver so you'll have it on hand if and when the repair you made lets go?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hey, Aziz, are you Pakistani or a foreigner living in Pakistan? Why do I ask? Because I am from Karachi too! I just live in Dubai though. Smile.gif

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: Samsung SP55W3HF (55" Rear-Projection 16:9)

A/V Receiver: Denon AVC-A11SR (European version of Denon AVR-4802)

DVD Player: Denon DVD-3800

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: Dual SVS CS-Ultras w/Samson S1000 amplifier

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Aziz I live in Pakistan as well and own a pair of Klipsch RF3 II. Since you mentioned in your email that there are no dealers in Pakistan, I thought I should let you know that there is a dealer in Karachi who is also mentioned on the Klipsch website.

Their contact number is

DESERT SOUND

G-7, Regal Trade Square, Preedy Street, Saddar

Karachi

Phone 0092-21-7722566 and 7769050

Unfortunately I was not aware of this and bought my speakers from an unauthorized dealer in Lahore and as such may not offer a real warranty. I actually ended up paying more to them than I would have if I had it brought to Lahore and even paid the transportation charges.

By the way how do you like the speakers... Have you ever heard the B&Ws...Which amp are you using?