RS-42 placement

Mudkicker

2-3 feet above ear level, and at least 4 feet apart i believe is the recommended distance apart

Thanks. When it comes to the RS-42 speaker, would it be "better" if they were placed on side walls at 90 degrees of mlp?

Unfortunately, due to room configuration, the back wall is really my only option.

2-3 feet above ear level, and at least 4 feet apart i believe is the recommended distance apart

Thanks. When it comes to the RS-42 speaker, would it be "better" if they were placed on side walls at 90 degrees of mlp?

Unfortunately, due to room configuration, the back wall is really my only option.

My couch is placed up against the wall. I have to mound my RS42 on the back wall. How high up from the floor should I mount them and how far away from each other?

Thanks

M

Given the situation I'd mount them way off to the sides, on the side walls if possible, definitely not directly behind/above you if you can get away from this.  Otherwise you are basically running 5.1 surround through the 7.1 rear position, while skipping the 5.1 side position and not allowing enough space for 7.1, just kind of weird.  

While 7.1 calls for them to be in the sides so you can put the "surround back" speaker behind you let's not forget that 7.1 hasn't always been around. It is perfectly fine to put your surround speakers behind you. Not weird at all.

If you had some room it would work but he doesn't.  Given the situation of him being flat up against the wall, only being 4' apart and 2-3' above ear level would have these things be directly above somebody's head, which yeah sound will still come out of them but it would be a little weird. :)  Personally I think they need to be spread out if he has to keep this furniture configuration and he already has these speakers.  

To the OP, can you not bring your couch out into the room a little bit?  Flat up against the wall is hard to work with.  

I actually have two RS-62's directly behind me in a similar configuration for 7.1, I watched the Edge of Tomorrow last night which has very strong rear surround material.  Based on remembering what that sounded like, If I had to live with that being my only surround at all I could deal with it but I don't think it's optimal, the sides are more important.  If I took my theater seats and put them flat up against the wall instead of 4' away like they are now and also had them as my only surround, I just don't think that would be right at all.  

Here is a visual, maybe we're talking about different things.  

1962731_10152553897004401_31219660896766

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

While 7.1 calls for them to be in the sides so you can put the "surround back" speaker behind you let's not forget that 7.1 hasn't always been around. It is perfectly fine to put your surround speakers behind you. Not weird at all.

If you had some room it would work but he doesn't.  Given the situation of him being flat up against the wall, only being 4' apart and 2-3' above ear level would have these things be directly above somebody's head, which yeah sound will still come out of them but it would be a little weird. :)  Personally I think they need to be spread out if he has to keep this furniture configuration and he already has these speakers.  

To the OP, can you not bring your couch out into the room a little bit?  Flat up against the wall is hard to work with.  

I already have the RS-42's.  My goal here is a 5.2 set up.  Unfortunately my room is 10.5 feet from the front wall to the rear wall, therefore it really needs to be up against the wall.  At best I can install a ledge on the wall right behind the couch to bring it forward, but not more than half a foot max.  Would that help or would it be pointless?

Edited by Mudkicker

I can install a ledge on the wall right behind the couch to bring it forward, but not more than half a foot max.  Would that help or would it be pointless?

I wouldn't install anything like that.  Just don't put them directly above your head and you'll probably be fine, either spread them out or put them in the back corner of the side walls.  Since they don't fire directly at you and you'll be on the same plane either way, I'm not sure that either choice will matter much.  

I can install a ledge on the wall right behind the couch to bring it forward, but not more than half a foot max.  Would that help or would it be pointless?

I wouldn't install anything like that.  Just don't put them directly above your head and you'll probably be fine, either spread them out or put them in the back corner of the side walls.  Since they don't fire directly at you and you'll be on the same plane either way, I'm not sure that either choice will matter much.

I will install them two feet above my head and ten feet apart so that each one will be five feet away from my head.

If you had some room it would work but he doesn't. Given the situation of him being flat up against the wall, only being 4' apart and 2-3' above ear level would have these things be directly above somebody's head, which yeah sound will still come out of them but it would be a little weird. :) Personally I think they need to be spread out if he has to keep this furniture configuration and he already has these speakers.

To the OP, can you not bring your couch out into the room a little bit? Flat up against the wall is hard to work with.

you apparently didn't read my post 100%. I said AT LEAST 4 feet apart cause that's what I've read is recommended.

And op, you want to set them up as surrounds no matter where they are. Surround back is for 6th and 7th channels which you aren't gonna use. When you run calibration it will set everything how it should be.

My room is 19 x 13 and I have my gear on the long wall because of the base board heaters. My RS62II's are right behind me up 18-24 inches. Is it the best spot? Of course not but it's all I have to work with until I buy a house and have a dedicated room. The 62II's are a bit overkill but just drop the volume down on them and everything still sounds good. 

post-55495-0-88300000-1415084983_thumb.j

post-55495-0-27380000-1415085003_thumb.j

Edited by Coleman

you apparently didn't read my post 100%. I said AT LEAST 4 feet apart cause that's what I've read is recommended.

I read it, I just figured you didn't read the OP 100% and missed the part about him being flat against the wall.  4 feet apart is way too close for 5.1 surround if a couch is going to be directly beneath them.  

My room is 19 x 13 and I have my gear on the long wall because of the base board heaters. My RS62II's are right behind me up 18-24 inches. Is it the best spot? Of course not but it's all I have to work with until I buy a house and have a dedicated room. The 62II's are a bit overkill but just drop the volume down on them and everything still sounds good. 

Coleman, my room is very similar to yours.  It will be pretty much the same except I will mount the RS a tad higher.

• Like 1

I read it, I just figured you didn't read the OP 100% and missed the part about him being flat against the wall. 4 feet apart is way too close for 5.1 surround if a couch is going to be directly beneath them.

i read it. Wether the couch is up against the wall or not thx recommends 4 feet apart at least. That is all I told him. We can all give out opinions I was just giving him thx recommendations for a minimum distance between them. I don't know anyone who actually would out them that close together.

Put them on the sidewalls 1 feet near the corners and one feet upper than your listening position. That's the best place for my room. I've tried backwall and the surround effect is better that way because the sound bounce on the corner. Anyway, the fun part of the RS surrounds are that you don't really know where the sounds come from. This is not a linear speaker.

Envoyé par une autre bébelle...

Edited by siik