Projector Suggestions (under $3000)

Youthman

• Moderators

I've been very pleased with my Panasonic AE3000u.  It isn't very bright but when the lights go out, the PQ is fantastic. 

I'm "considering" upgrading my projector with the new upgrade to my screen, going from 103" to 150". 

Requirements:

1080p or higher resolution

Zoom Memory Presets (or similar feature).  Need this to easily change between 16:9 and 2.35:1

2000 lumens or brighter

HDMI

Not important:

3D (have no interest)

What models should I be considering in the sub $3000 range?

Edited by Youthman

Since i am in the market for a new projector myself, from my research, the only projectors i found below $2500 with a lens/zoom memory function are ones from Panasonic - PT-AE8000U ($1999) and PT-AR100U ($1299). The latter is non 3-D. Both are highly rated on Projector Central (http://www.projectorcentral.com/best-home-theater-projectors.htm).

Edited by Boxoffice Buff

Just today, I even considered changing from a 2.35:1 CIH setup to a 16:9 and masking down for 2.35:1.  This would allow me more flexibility with projectors, less costly projectors, and it would give me a larger 16:9 image.

Didn't you buy a Scope screen?

As far as the projector the AE8000 works fine at 180" scope.

• Moderators

Vast majority are scope content.  My son plays games in the HT which are mostly 16:9. 

I'm at the beginning stages of even contemplating switching to a 16:9 so I haven't calculated how that will effect screen size.  I think I have enough fabric to stay the same width but it would increase the 16:9 to 158".

• Like 1

Didn't you buy a Scope screen?

I bought fabric from Seymour for a 150" scope screen but they sent me extra so I can cut it at an angle. 

The AE8000 would be sweet.  Trying to work out a barter deal for one.

Michael, bear in mind, as I'm sure you have, that the "extra" material is not really extra. It is simply there to allow for them, or you, to cut the screen at the best angle for moire reduction. I had them do it for me simply because I didn't have the space available to take on such a tediously accurate cutting project. Nor would I have known what that correct angle was anyhow. For me and my innate lack of skill in this area, the extra $30 or whatever it was, was worth it.

I just switched to an Optoma HD-25LV from an much older Optoma HD-20 that I had purchased on here. I don't think that this is what you're looking for per se. More so just wanted to express my happiness with Optoma as a brand. With my limited experience I'd say their product is very good. Mine was originally $2300 last year and can now be had for $899 on Amazon. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. It's very bright at 3500Lumens and works very well with the Seymour AT Cinema Scope material. I'm currently having some weird HDCP playback issues that I can only attribute to my receiver at this point. Having not eliminated all other options just yet, but that's simply an aside.

• Like 1

Vast majority are scope content.  My son plays games in the HT which are mostly 16:9. 

I'm at the beginning stages of even contemplating switching to a 16:9 so I haven't calculated how that will effect screen size.  I think I have enough fabric to stay the same width but it would increase the 16:9 to 158".

Just use all the material, and don't angle cut it then. Our setup is 151" 16x9, and 195" 2.40.

Did you get the 150 Scope screen? You know that is 163 diagonal for scope, right (could be even more depending on how much extra material they give you and where it is)? I ordered the 180" scope and was thinking it was the diagonal and then figured out it was the width.

If you have the 150 scope screen I think you will have about 172" diagonal 16x9 if you don't cut it (going by the width of the screen).

Edited by ellisr63

• Moderators
Here is a price quote for an XD DIY screen shipped within the continental United States.

150'' Diagonal -- 2.35:1 Ratio

Image Size: 138'' x 58.7''

Piece Size:  144'' x 64.7''-156     $285.35

Precision Cut 20 degrees             $45.00

Shipping                                     $35.00

Total                                         $365.35

When I placed the order, I told them I did not want the Precision Cut so they sent me a roll was ridiculously huge.  I just removed it from the tube and it measures 98.5" tall.  I have not unrolled it to see exactly how wide.

• Like 1

Here is a price quote for an XD DIY screen shipped within the continental United States.

150'' Diagonal -- 2.35:1 Ratio
Image Size: 138'' x 58.7''
Piece Size:  144'' x 64.7''-156     $285.35
Precision Cut 20 degrees             $45.00
Shipping                                     $35.00
Total                                         $365.35

When I placed the order, I told them I did not want the Precision Cut so they sent me a roll was ridiculously huge.  I just removed it from the tube and it measures 98.5" tall.  I have not unrolled it to see exactly how wide.

Just a guess, but I think a 16x9 will be 160+" with 2.35 being  153+ not sure how much larger as I don't know the width of your material.... Here is a calculator for when you get it unrolled...

http://www.draperinc.com/ProjectionScreens/CustomSizeCalculator.asp

I don't like the sub $2,500 stipulation.  :D  The only reason I say this is because I researched projectors a lot and feel like JVC is hands down the way to go but to get there you'll need $3000+ unless you can find a Youthman deal there in Florida somewhere. JVC makes an amazing projector. Nothing I have seen compares to them in 2d anywhere near their price range. As deep as you are into your theater room at this point, I'd either wait til you can swing a JVC or just dip into savings if you need to and make it happen. It's like the final stamp on the theater room and you should go all out on it IMO. LOL In all seriousness though, every JVC I have seen knocks your socks off. 

• Like 2

I'm sure Youthman will take donations if you want to assist in the purchase of a JVC... :)

Yup, I just setup a paypal account you can contribute to helpyouthman@fundmyprojector.com :D

You could do a gofundme account too. :)