University speakers Acoustic Baton

ELMarko

• 7 years later...

Hi Community!

My dad loved speakers and when he passed, he left a pair of University Acoustic Baton speakers.  After spending too much time trying to figure out what they might be worth online, I thought I'd turn to the experts for some advise.  They work and sound great, the sub woofers were refurbished.  Any suggestions would be really appreciated!

Welcome to the Klipsch Forum, Pattil24!  I'm not an expert when it comes to University Sound speakers, but I'd like to clarify some misconceptions, then hopefully address your questions.

1. University Sound speakers often don't have a model name displayed, especially if the cabinets are homebuilt to University Sound plans. So it stands to reason when someone sees a big polished plate holding two L-pad controls and silkscreened with "Acoustic Baton" that they might assume this is the model name of the speaker. Instead, it is the name University Sound gave to the controls themselves: you use the "Acoustic Baton" controls to adjust the sound of the speaker like a conductor uses a baton to control and adjust the sound of an orchestra. So Acoustic Baton is NOT a model of University Sound speaker, and this crossover control section can be mounted in the cabinets of MANY different models of University Sound speakers.

2. I suspect the speakers cited in the original post were University Classics based on the comments made, but I am just guessing since the link no longer works. The University Classic was a three-way speaker with metal horns for tweeters and squawkers and a folded wooden horn for the woofer. It was clearly intended to compete with the Klipschorn.

3. Pattil24, to determine what model of University speakers you have, please take photos of the cabinets and measure the external cabinet dimensions. Then post them on this thread, and forum members will reply.

Best in horns,

triceratops

@Pattil24