Auralic Vega Dac

A1UC

I am wondering if anyone else here has the Auralic Vega Dac ? I purchased mine a couple months ago along with the Auralic Aries.

When I first purchased the Dac many people told me it had to break it in before judging it , well today it came alive and all I can say is "wow" I had no idea .

I now see why its holds it own against Dac's costing up to 10k .

If you are thinking of getting a higher end Dac you owe it to yourself to checkout the Auralic Vega .

If Interested in purchasing one pm me and I will be glad to give you a authorized dealers contact info that hooked me up .

Edited by A1UC
  • Like 1

to be honest, I am still slightly conflicted on what I am getting...

both the Auralic and the Wyred SE are outstanding DAC's at similar price points and are very similar in performance, but the Wyred comes with Vishay Resistors... both are femto equipped and Wyred is ESS 9018, the auralic I am not sure. I am also close to getting a new SC85 Pioneer AVR that is ESS equipped but is obviously does not come with a femto clocking.

The advantage the Vega has over about any other DAC using the Sabre DAC, is that the Vega uses only the DAC part of the chip. They use their own proprietary filters and not the ones made into the ESS Chip. So, they picked what they liked about the Sabre Chip and used it, then what they did not like about the Chip, they did not use, and did their own thing for the rest of the conversion process.

Is this actually better? Based on my findings with other DAC's using the Sabre chip, hell yes! The Vega is the only DAC I have heard using the Sabre chip that I like. Yes, using the Vishay Resistors for the analog output is somewhat attractive, but in the analog domain, there is very little benefit here using them to be honest. Yes, they are great parts, but that's where it ends... Implementation is everything vs simply the resistor choice that they proudly tout, and the Orfeo output stage of the Vega sounds very damn good.

This sounds like no other DAC with the Sabre chip implemented that I am aware of.

I used to have the original W4S DAC2, and it never impressed me. Not to say that the new SE version is not better, as I have not heard it, but I see no marketing to suggest they dealt with the conversion process any differently, besides adding the Femto Clocks and supply updates. Sounds more like simple upgrades to a decent DAC. I don't see any of the reviewers pulling out their wallet for one.

Edited by paul79

to be honest, I am still slightly conflicted on what I am getting...

both the Auralic and the Wyred SE are outstanding DAC's at similar price points and are very similar in performance, but the Wyred comes with Vishay Resistors... both are femto equipped and Wyred is ESS 9018, the auralic I am not sure. I am also close to getting a new SC85 Pioneer AVR that is ESS equipped but is obviously does not come with a femto clocking.

There are allot of ESS 9018 Dac's out there , I had a few and they are all different sounding , more comes into play than just the ESS chip .

Another killer Dac for the money is the Eastern Electric DAC Plus which for the money is impossible to beat . It all comes down to how much you want to fork out and what you want to end up with in the end .

I went back and forth on the Vega me before dropping the cash , even once I got it I was like did I make a bad move ? But everyone said let it break in before deciding , well yesterday afternoon I was listening to the Dac and out  the blue it must of broke in because my jaw dropped . I'm telling you unless you going to spend 10k this is the way to go .  

At $3,500 the VEGA is an expensive component, but it more than lives up to that price. On our objective bench tests, it performs better than anything I have tested before. Subjectively, it provides a clear sign of that engineering with a refined, natural sound. I will venture to say this is the best sound I have heard in my home theater room to date.

For some of the best digital sound out there, you must audition the AURALiC VEGA. It is a reference class product, and I can’t wait to pair it with the upcoming Aires bridge so I can listen to even more of my music with this kind of sound quality.

Edited by A1UC

You haven't tested the Wyred SE have you... :)

I think Wyred ($2500) has a sigma attached as NOT BEING a serious audiophile manufacturer, yet they have been around for a long time... specially in comparison to Auralic($3500). I also think that anything that is not clocking at least at Femto rates is not even in the same ball park.

I could also wait until the Bel Canto 3.7 DAC (probably $3500-$4000) comes out very soon and will use a proprietary clocking in the femto range, which will probably be better than both of these... but it WILL be more expensive.

getting a ESS elite pioneer SC85 ($1200 + sell my SC35 for $350'ish) is also a very viable solution for me, because I am still currently using a OEM oppo 93 dac (with great results mind you), and the pioneer would be a big step up in conversion and would allow me to take a wait and see attitude with regards to what will eventually happen in the DAC world... or at least until prices begin dropping a little.

like I said, still conflicted. serious monies for a serious product.

Edited by Schu

No I have not tried the SE model but had the model before that , but I am sure I never read one review that stated it was competing with Dacs up in the price range of 10k All I can do is tell you my findings . Good luck with what ever you decide on

I really liked my Bel Canto DAC3.5VB MKII. I bought this after being unsatisfied with the W4S... Albeit, the Bel Canto was way more costly. Curious to hear the 3.7 for sure.

The 3.5VB MKII is no comparison to the Vega in terms of naturalness though, but I did like its very raw character and awesome displays if inner detail. The Vega however, is just more refined... I lived with the 3.5VB MKII for a couple years and I did like it allot.

Edited by paul79

heard them in my system... no I have not.

feel free to send me a Auralic Vega to preview, then (for the first time in this thread) I will say that I have actually heard one in my system and I will give you me honest opinion up to and possibly including purchasing one.

until then, I really don't get the question except one that attempts to marginalize.

let me ask you guys, lol, did any of you have the auralic vega OR the Wyred SE in your system prior to?

Edited by Schu

No can do my friend. I can't afford to stock them, and have to sell them as new.

I don't sell for a living nor do I typically advertise that I do. I just want to be able to offer my customers something I think is great, if they ask about it. I have picked a chosen few companies to represent in this regard, for cables and source components. When I get a sale, I make a little, and that is great, but will never be my bread and butta.

Edited by paul79

familiar?

like anything, research.

not once have I said anything about audio quality of either... other than to speak about technical aspects that make each one attractive to any perspective buyer, including myself.

Edited by Schu