Sources for drop ceiling acoustic panels? and other surfaces...

jimjimbo

I am looking to install some SIMPLE, EFFECTIVE, REASONABLY PRICED (or downright cheap), panels in my drop ceiling in my basement/listening area.  They need not be beautiful, or multi-colored, but they should be drop in and go.  I don't have a big shop to construct a whole bunch of these.  Probably need about....20 pieces for the ceiling (standard 2x4 ft), and then 8 pieces to mount on various vertical surfaces.  Links and suggestions would be very much appreciated.  Thank you!

I am looking to install some SIMPLE, EFFECTIVE, REASONABLY PRICED (or downright cheap), panels in my drop ceiling in my basement/listening area.  They need not be beautiful, or multi-colored, but they should be drop in and go.

Do you employ much subwoofer?

Yes, they are occasionally on the payroll...

I am looking to install some SIMPLE, EFFECTIVE, REASONABLY PRICED (or downright cheap), panels in my drop ceiling in my basement/listening area.  They need not be beautiful, or multi-colored, but they should be drop in and go.

Do you employ much subwoofer?

Yes, they are occasionally on the payroll...

Word on the street is that they're ready to rumble...

They do offer thinner acoustic panels at a lesser price.

If you have a fire barrier behind the drop ceiling such as drywall or other fire retardant material there are other options but nothing is going to be super cheap unless you can find some used ones and normally the thinner ones are sagged, stained or broken as they are kinda brittle.

If the tiles rattle and shake from loud bass notes there are simple ways to keep that from happening too.

I didn't check price as effectiveness is what I was after.  I am putting these in our video studio.  NRC .95, CAC 38.

http://www.primacoustic.com/thundertile-specs.htm

Dave

That Thundertile goes for $50 for a 2' x 4' panel.

If performance is what you are after lay acoustic insulation on top of the Armstrong panels, much better bang for your buck.