resale value of self-made K-horns

tpg

If I was to put good compnents in them that were not exactly cheap, would I be able to resale these for equal what I paid or get profit? This of course is based upon them sounding awesome if they do. (they better...) I like cornerhorn idea, and that is all I have in my room/house are corners. So, I cannot afford to buy real ones, and thought I would build some. I realize it is no easy task... but what else do I have to do? Smile.gif So would the resale be equivalent or plus some what I put into them?

The materials and drivers would EAT YOU ALIVE, and the resale value would probably be lower (not sure) as it is not the real thing.

All I can say, is if you do it right, and it all works, your not gonna wanna sell em. If you are going to make some, plan on keeping them.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

It is highly unlikely that home-built cabinets will ever get the asking price of the "real thing", no matter WHO builds them...or whether they are actually better built than the originals!! Look at the difference between what one gets for speaker lab knock-offs compared to the "real deal" on eBay!!

Of course, I have seen speaker lab knock-offs, too...we tore some apart when I worked at Klipsch to compare build quality...and they were pretty shoddy...for example: nails shot into them that missed the intended panels and such!!...POOR glue lines, etc.

The public generally tends to trust in the "real deal" and to have little faith in "knock-offs" or "home-builts" even if the home-builts use the exact same stuff in them and are supposedly built exactly like a factory would do it!!...just look at how kit-built Dynaco compares to factory wired on eBay...this should give you a clue!!

Even if I built some Klipsch copies(and I have built the originals!!), I could not expect to get the same price for the exact same thing the factory made...but, then again, I would not build an exact copy in any way but in its function...I would build something structurally better or more aesthetically pleasing to the eye(or both)...and I would ensure that I had a buyer BEFORE building it, too!!

------------------

I can now receive private messages

Going to have to agree with the crowd here. I think eBay is your best bet. Look at it this way, say you get an average pair on eBay. The K horns are a 6-7 on a 1-10 scale. Why not then take your enjoyment of making something beautiful and re do them to make them a 8-9?

In the process, you can listen to a great sounding speaker, (The real deal) AND you may, in fact, never choose to sell them. But if you do, your "sweat equity" to make them restored to their beautiful past selves.... will, in turn, make you some money when you or if you choose to re sell them. Just a thought.

Well, the only reason I asked was because I have not near enough money to buy something like K-horns. I might be able to come across $400 in the next year... not a definite by any means. I was looking at some decent drivers, but... I have no way of telling if they will match and not only that it would of course not be the true K-horn sound. I still have yet to recieve the speakers I got off of eBay. And thus I will NEVER do business there again.

------------------

SoundWise / ProMedia Tech Support / 1-888-554-5665s>