Altec Lansing 301 craigslist find anyone remember these?

Anotherforumname

Like I needed more speakers, I got on CL one day and it and some guy just posted these with stands for 25 bucks. I have had the smaller version of these, the 205's and really liked them but sold them. When the seller posted these I had no idea what version they were and figured they were worth a look. So I drove in a snowstorm to check them out. Excellent condition one tweeter was pushed in but was able to take apart and push out and of course the foam was gone. I picked them up for 20 bucks. I got the foam on them and they sound fantastic, not just for the price but fantastic period. They got a good reviews from Stereophile that I happen to agree with for the most part. http://www.stereophile.com/content/altec-lansing-301-loudspeaker These came out after the buyout but from what I understand these were clean sheet design from the original team and made in the USA. The stuff I don't agree with is that these are well made and do have internal bracing, crossovers look top notch. Real wood veneers cleaned up nicely with some Old English, Grills are in good shape too. I was a little leery of the re-foam because it was an underneath cone but it was easier than over the cone job. Anyway enough rambling, some pix.

P1010762_zps62c1df94.jpg

P1010759_zpscb811f39.jpg

• Like 1

These sound great, a bit on the bright/ forward side but not harsh at all. Huge wide deep sound stage. Vocals and instruments sound natural and well placed, at times they were projected a few feet in front of the speakers. These have a high jump factor as well sometimes stuff sounds like its right next to you. These have a lot of characteristics of my Forte II's, after all Altec are famous for their horn speakers. Bass sound good, tight and not boomy, they go pretty low however I feel a sub compliments them on the way low end. They made speakers in this line until after 2000 I believe but don't know how they sounded. If anyone can find them cheap like I did I would suggest you give them a try.

That info is wrong.

" I have been told that most of the support information for this period of home and car audio products was destroyed in a fire at one of Altec Lansing Technologies locations."

"In 1985, autosound manufacturer Sparkomatic bought the rights to market consumer loudspeakers under the Altec Lansing name (footnote 2). They put together a line of moderately-priced systems and unveiled them at the '86 Summer CES, where I heard a pair of the Model 301s for long enough to want to hear them again."

"The 301 is the middle of Altec's consumer line. Completely undistinguished in appearance (a box is a box is a box) and construction (½ chipboard, with minimal internal bracing), the 301 is almost a prototypical mid-fi box system, with a 10" woofer and a couple of domes for the middle and upper ranges."

If it doesn't have a horn in it, I don't consider it a real Altec speaker.

"the original Altec Lansing would cease to exist with Telex Communications Incorporated's closure of the Altec Lansing Professional Division. The name would live on as a brand of multimedia sound products having been sold to the former Sparkomatic Corporation in 1984. "

"EDWARD ANCHEL
Mr. Anchel was the founder, President and CEO of Sparkomatic Corporation, a leading manufacturer of car stereo and automotive speaker systems sold worldwide to automotive aftermarket chains and retailers. In 1984, Mr. Anchel acquired Altec Lansing, a leading global supplier of audio systems to computer manufacturers and retailers and the leading brand of portable and powered audio systems. Altec Lansing was recently sold to Plantronics for $166 million. Mr. Anchel is a Director of Three Springs Bottling Company and serves on the Penn State University’s SMEAL College of Business Board of Advisors, and has been named as both a Distinguished Alum and as an Alumni Fellow."

Edited by djk

It seems the company fell into a black hole for a period of time, its looking up for them maybe, they recently got sold to a company that turns companies around. I am glad they did buy them out or they would have surely gone away entirely and these great speakers would not exist. I don't think to many of the old companies are building stuff like thy used to. Klipsch was bought out by Audiovox, Polk bought out by DEI Infinity got bought out by HK. Acoustic Research and Advent went away.

Anyway Wikipedia is right 99.9% of the time, I looked it up on Wikipedia, lol.