Sub woofer is humming

dks5276

Capacitor on the sub amp usually. but sometimes its more or less to it than that. Does your sub hum when nothing is plugged into it?

it only humms when i turn on my receiver , i put a ground loop  on it and its 90% effective

Edited by dks5276

I put a ground loop on it and it cut the humming down 90%, my question is i seen on threads to replace capacitors on the amp, are they referring to the amp on sub or on receiver?

Added a what? What's a ground loop? Need to get rid of them not add them.

I put a ground loop on it and it cut the humming down 90%, my question is i seen on threads to replace capacitors on the amp, are they referring to the amp on sub or on receiver?

Added a what? What's a ground loop? Need to get rid of them not add them.

i put a ground loop isolator on them , it goes in between the receiver and sub one very similar to this http://www.radioshack.com/ground-loop-isolator/2700054.html#.VH4QGTHF91Q

Edited by dks5276

Ok you put an isolator in line with the signal input and it helped a lot. Can we step back? Did it ever not hum? What happened to make it start humming?

it just starting humming one day, I researched and it was said that sometimes the capacitors go bad or dry out and can cause this, so i just assumed maybe this was the case...is there a way of testing the caps to see if they are bad before replacing them?

Ok you put an isolator in line with the signal input and it helped a lot. Can we step back? Did it ever not hum? What happened to make it start humming?

it just starting humming one day, I researched and it was said that sometimes the capacitors go bad or dry out and can cause this, so i just assumed maybe this was the case...is there a way of testing the caps to see if they are bad before replacing them?

Yes there is but you need special equipment. Probably much cheaper just to replace the caps. This is a common problem with electrolytic caps, us oldtimers called it "motorboating" cuz it made radios sound like an outboard motor on a boat. You can put a shorting plug on the input to your sub and see if the sub makes the hum all by itself. If it still hums then I would say definitely replace the caps.