Replacing Multimedia with a 2 CH Setup

The History Kid

Last year I used a Klipsch Promedia 2.1 setup for my dorm/apartment.  I basically had it running PC Audio and TV audio when not using my headphones.  I ended up gifting it to my roommates as they are the ones throwing down the parties this year (while I'm stuck at home).  I don't really think I'm going to ask for it back.  While I didn't mind the Promedia, I just am so damn spoiled with having a receiver and some real speakers at my disposal.

I think I'm going to keep my Yamaha RX-V730 specifically for use at school next year once I cycle it out of the living room.

Now my next wonderings is whether or not to invest in a subwoofer or not.  I'm thinking my max size if I did would be 8"...I certainly don't need to bust down the walls in this building, but it might be nice to trim some weight off the bottom end for whatever speakers I get (I'm looking at RB-25's, 35's and 61's mainly).

The goal is to keep it as simple and easy to pack up as possible while outdoing the Promedia.  Does anyone have some suggestions?  Keep in mind I'd like to keep this cost effective and I'm definitely not afraid to search for used product either.

It sounds like a good plan to me. For what you are about to receive, you can be truly thankful in the sound.

Looking at doing same when discover the right speaker by Klipsch convenient. Have my inwall sub, and

thinking I can mount it where the tower goes in a corner business desk as it is enclosed. The bookshelves are important but, any Klipsch may do, if in a upgrade later on is in the cards. I am looking around. A deal like the one the other day with 8 inch sub was a deal for someone in Forida.

Edit: Like the sound of my Yamaha and Klipsch. Knowing yours sound nice.

Edited by billybob

Big fan of the KG line. Can sound a little hot, but they boom ot pretty good. Set up four  nieces and nephews with old school systems after their sophomore years. The KG 5.2's and the KG 4's were best for parties.  The 4.2's and 3.5's probably had the best overall sound. 

Forget the sub, get one of the larger kg's and rock -and-roll all night long.

All night long.

All night.

All night.

• Like 1

I'm sorry I didn't notice your reply sooner thebes...but ironically I had just narrowed my search down to a couple KG's and a couple RB's.

I'm thinking when I'm not at school I'll use these as presence/height speakers too...so my current ideas for speakers is:

The KG 2.2's or 2.5's, or the RB-3's or 5's (or II's).

I think these would work best with both my system at home when I'm there (to use them as those heights) or when I'm at school and just need a pair of awesome mains.

Thoughts?

P.S. guys...space constraints mean I can't do a floorstanding speaker.  I'd love to...but it's just not feasible.  So I figured I'd do things this way in order to make sure I can still use the speakers for something when I'm done and out with school.

Edited by IbizaFlame