This is friggan hilarious!!

skonopa

I found this little gem on a website called TechTales (www.techtales.com) . It is from the June 2002 section (Item #66). I figure this would be perfectly appropriate for this forum. Enjoy Smile.gif

------- Begin Quote (www.techtales.com) -------

But whats the difference between a speaker and a cable modem?

speakers were invented around what 90 years ago or longer? I dont know anyone from age 3-125 that doesnt know what a speaker is, however I met my match tonight.

I am a computer technician for a nationwide High Speed Data company. It was a boring night until I received this call.

Me: *** Technical support, this is *****, How can i help you?

Cst: I cant get online and i want you to fix it.

Me: Ok well let me get your phone number and I'll bring up your account. (i spend a minute getting information and verifying account)

Me: ok mam, What type of cable modem do you have?

Cst: Its the one you gave me.

Me: We use many different types of modems, what does it say on your Cable Modem?

Cst: It says Boston Acoustic Speaker Model # 6076

Me: Mam, that is a speaker for your computer or stereo.

Cst: thats what it says. It has one light on it that says power.

Me: Mam again that is a speaker.

Cst: What is a speaker?

Me: (shaking my head at her stupidness) That is what creates sound for a radio or for your computer. Its just like speakers in your car where you listen to music.

Cst: Radio? Whats that?

Me: (getting frustrated) Mam look for a small blue box.

Cst: This is the only thing i have here and your guy who set it up for me and it has the word subwoofer on it. Therefore it is your cable modem which you set up.

Me: Mam that is a subwoofer speaker used to create sound. The deep bass that is heard from drums. (im checking the previous calls for this idiot by now and i see that she called 2 hours earlier and has a trouble call for tomorrow at no charge)

Cst: Im telling you that is my cable modem.

Me: Mam that is NOT a cable modem that is a subwoofer. I also see you called 2 hours ago and the tech set up a tech to come out and fix your problem.

Cst: Your being very rude to me and i dont appreciate it

Me: Mam I am here to help you but you are totally unable to recognize the difference between a subwoofer speaker which is clearly labeled and a cable modem. How can i fix the problem if you dont even know where to locate the correct item. The tech that set up the appt tomorrow set it up incorrectly. He should of set it up with a charge of $49.95 because of the lack of troubleshooting you are unable to do over the phone and since we are unable to verify that this is a problem on our side or your side. I will leave the trouble call for tomorrow but be aware that I am going to put notes in stating that we were unable to t/s and the tech might charge you for this if he find the problem exists on your side.

Cst: I dont appreciate your tone of voice

Me: and i dont appreciate yours. (click)

I checked on the account a few days later and the Tech that went out had her purchase a Brand new modem from us for a high price (probably to teach her a lesson) and people still talk about the crazy lady who insisted that a subwoofer is the same thing as a cable modem...

Thanks to: brian

------- End Quote ------

I could safely assume everyone here can tell the difference between a cable modem and a speaker, but you got to admit, I was just about on the floor rolling after I read the above Smile.gif (and I have no reason to doubt what this dude posted on there). There is alot more where this came from. You could easily spend several days reading TechTales!

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

I work as a tech support worker. That tech's description of the encounter says an awful lot more than they would likely wish. It is clear that he or she "suffers fools badly" and considers a customer who has no technical savvy as an "idiot." Not suprisingly the "idiot" detected this dismissive attitude and got her hackles up.

If I were his/her supervisor and had heard that conversation he/she would have been in my office within 10 minutes attempting to show me why they should not be at the unemployment office seeking another job - preferably in a different capacity. As a tech I do not need to deal with customers who have been made to feel like idiots by some smart-*** boor because I am the one they see face to face!

People like that have no business in customer relations!

This message has been edited by lynnm on 08-02-2002 at 09:45 PM

Oh god, there are some GREAT ones from a computer tech support site site, I don't remember what they were exactly:

-Damnit! I paid $2,000 for this laptop computer and I don't want to have to charge it!!!

-Mam, you need to plug in your computer and monitor to work.

-A lady has her 21" CRT on top of a full tower case, complains its unstable and might fall. Refuses to move it and askes what the company has done to fix the problem.

-Person can't figure out how to plug his TV, VRC, DVD-player, satellite, stereo, etc. into his computer. Says he bought a "multimedia computer and he wants a refund."

-MANY cases of people refusing to plug in a keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc. because, for the price they paid, they don't see why they have to become "electricions."

-People having unreal expectations of a computer, like demanding an answer for why there is "lag" in some operations.

-Having to spend a LONG TIME talking people through the hook up and power up instructions, the sort of people that can't look at the GETTING STARTED guide, god only know whats going to happen when Windows boots...

You get the idea. Be glad you know how to operate a computer.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

I have not seen that much text content on a site ever!

It's like 50 pages a month for years!!!

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

I'm with Lynnm here on this one. I would have wrote the guy up.

It would have been much simpler if he would have just described what the cable modem looked like and where she was likely to find it.

If she became frustrated he could have placated her by reminding her that the tech was coming out tomorrow and it might be better just to wait.

What a maroon.

BTW - what's a cable modem?

Well, I don't know about a Cable modem, but there is a DSL modem and 8-port router in my garage Smile.gif

------------------

I used to work for a retail store for thirteen years and I came to the conclusion that there are some people that have an idea stuck in their head and there is just no way to get them to forget it and "reboot". Then there are those who just want to keep whining at you and discount every suggestion you offer. Those are the ones who don't WANT to be helped.

The store eventually went out of business because the clientele would screem for us to get the best and newest products but never, ever wanted to pay the market value for it (i.e.- "Hey dude, whens that new shotgun goin' on sale?"). Newly introduced item are usually very hard to buy and make a proffit from unless you buy in massive bulk which takes (you guessed it) capitol. Not to be made from a bunch of cheap-skates anyway. Finally, there were the ones who wanted me to glorify them for the products they own. Sorry, not this kid. I expect everyone around me to grow, emotionally and intellectualy. When I would wait on the same dumb box-of-rocks that hasn't put to memory or good use anything I have told them then I usually just go somplace else and not be found.

Sorry, if this has run astray from your original brief but sex is more fun than logic.....

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 08-05-2002 at 07:45 PM