matching Klipsh floor 5.5's with center channel

finn1740

I have an original pair of 5.5's, but at the time, never thought to get the center channel. Can anyone recommend a proper center that would match well. I tried ebay for the old KG center and found only one in poor condition. Guy wouldn't even share a photo with the cover OFF. I have looked at the reference horn RC62 but am out of my knowledge league here. 

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.. Mick

Many, and I mean many people here like the phantom speaker.

You toe in the right an left speakers so the people not in the main listening position (sweet spot) will be off axis to the speaker closest to them, and set your AVR to use no center speaker. It will create a phantom or virtual center which will be a perfect timbre match. I have to say that it beats the heck out of a speaker that is anemic or a poor timbre match..

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

Honestly, I had a pair of KG 4.2's and tried an Academy and I tried the matching KG 2.2 center and neither worked real well. The Academy was slightly different in timbre and the 2.2 horn just does not sound anything like the horn on the KG floorstanding models.  If you have room, I would seek out another floorstanding KG model as the center.

With that being said, you may find the KG 2.5 to be fine in your room.  If you are patient, you will find plenty. In fact, I know of a pair of black 2.5's in a local pawn shop that I'm waiting to buy when the price falls a little more.  Let me know if you want them and I will see what I can do.

When I was contemplating doing a KG set up, I looked at the KG 2.2, and the KV 2.2. 

I had the 3.5's and was considering doing either the 5.5's or 4.2's and using the 0.5's for rear surrounds and front heights/wides. The 3.5's were going to be my side surrounds, but I wound up finishing off my RF speakers. The 2.2's from what I was told by Klipsch reps directly would be the best match for them.

I think there was someone else on here that used the 2.2 and turned it on it's side and due to the horn the way it is loaded sounded better. I'm not 100% sure if it's the 2.2 or the 2.5, but am very confident it's the 2.2. They were comparing it with the Academy with the 2.2 having the bigger horn.

They have different style drivers and tweeters. 

In my post what I meant to say was someone had the KLF center and turned it on the side and got the better sound as it's similar to the Academy, but had a wider horn.

I would go with what Keith is saying or use the KV center, they are going to give the best timbre match all the way around. Don't fuss on them being used as if they were used in a system and not put in storage they should work fine and continue to work fine.

Many, and I mean many people here like the phantom speaker.

You toe in the right an left speakers so the people not in the main listening position (sweet spot) will be off axis to the speaker closest to them, and set your AVR to use no center speaker. It will create a phantom or virtual center which will be a perfect timbre match. I have to say that it beats the heck out of a speaker that is anemic or a poor timbre match..

I have this setup with my KG 5.5's and it works well. There are some other posts here about finding a center for the 5.5 and from what i have heard the KV-3 is one of the better options if you want to go that route.  The difficulty with the KG 5.5 is they are so efficient that its hard for the center's from that line to keep up but the newer more efficient lines dont timber match. I dont think anyone has mentioned a KV-4 for a center. It looks like a good option but they are hard to find. The only one on Ebay is listed for $425 which is more than a set of 5.5's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-KV-4-Center-Channel-Speaker-Timber-Match-For-Klipsch-Epic-CF-Series-Rare-/141509124877?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item20f299e30d

Edited by twk123