RSW15 and RW12 together?

barch

I currently, I have RF3 front, RC64 Center, and RS7 surround.  I am currently using two subs RPW10 and RW12 on a system 5.1 system (yes only 5.1, 110 watt, Yamaha, HTR-4066, and I have split the .1 to the two subs). 

My RW12 does blend in very well with the system right now and actually my RPW has more volume in the 30 hz and higher range but when the lower HZ come in the RW12 picks up where the RPW10 drops off.  I kind of like that. 

I am picking up this RSW15 on Monday and was wondering if using just the RSW15 by itself (on the 5.1 system) will be better than the current dual (RPW10 & RW12) sub setup?  

Next question is would the RW12 (21 Hz) and the RSW15 (19 Hz) be a good match if I get a 7.2 system or  should I not be mixing subs like this?  I have an opportunity to get a 7.2 system (Onkyo TX NR807, 135 Watt, 7.2 system) to power this newer combo if is it is something I should do. 

What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

barch

Edited by barch
  • Like 1

I'd listen for myself to make that decision, it's all going to have to do with what you yourself hear.  Ideally on paper, two RSW-15's would be better off, but you may not need two subs depending on your room size and what you hear.  The RSW-15 on it's own is an absolute beast, and it really shouldn't need any help honestly.

As for your 7.2, are you sold on the Onkyo?  I might recommend looking at another brand, such as Pioneer, Yamaha, Denon or Marantz - especially if you plan on using HDMI.

• Like 1

First off thanks for replying.  I will just have to try both setups. On paper that would be best but money is a big player in my world.  I am lucky to get this one RSW15. 

My room is small, 12' wide and 18' long with a low ceiling of 7.5'.  So I think that the RSW15 might be too much for this room but if I can drive it with this HTR I'll be happy. 

I am not sold on Onkyo, but I can pick it up for only $250 and it has more bells and whistles on it than my current HTR-4066.  I figured that would be a nice pick up for that price.  

Barch

Edited by barch

You might look and see if you can find a nice Marantz or Pioneer used...they go around that price on the street.

I think for your room size one RSW-15 might be enough...but like I said, give both a try.  Marantz NR's I've seen around $250, their entry level SR models too.  I just saw a Pioneer VSX-80 going for $275 as well with a box.  So those are out there, just gotta look for them - and they'd be well worth the wait too if you can get one.

Rsw-15 will most certainly not be too much for that room. If you listen at higher levels most likely it could use a friend.

Skip the 807. Super prone to hdmi board failures.

Skip onkyo all together unless you can find an old 805. But I wouldn't buy an 8 year old receiver for home theater use.

What home theater do you have now? Maybe you don't need a ton of power and can get a lower model of a newer one. I have a denon 1713 and it is plenty if power for a rf-62 home theater. I have a 42ii theater hooked up to is now. And it's plenty of power with tons of bells and whistles as well audyssey xt.

Edited by Scrappydue

Well, I guess we will find out this evening.  I would really like to have the RSW15 work well by itself.  It will be difficult to locate another RSW15 to support it. 

No one has responded regarding mixing different size subs together. Do any of you have mis-matched (size and model) subs running in your system?

Willand has a 5.4 with 3 or 4 different subs that matched okay.  However, the answer to that question is that it is relative.  The best results and best feedback that would be a unanimous result of sounding good is two of the same.  However, your ears will tell you if two different subs will work effectively.

Guest Steven1963

I have an RSW 15 but I only use it for 2 channel so I can't really comment (intelligently) as others have on whether it is sufficient for HT. I will say this though, for reference I usually listen to 2 channel at around 95db with peaks to 105db and I NEVER turn the RSW 15 above half and it works just fine to equalize the sound coming from the Khorns.

IMHO, assuming you aren't a HT junkie like scrappy you will find that sub to be more than enough for your listening enjoyment. :) and you won't need another one.

Edited by Steven1963

I have an RSW 15 but I only use it for 2 channel so I can't really comment (intelligently) as others have on whether it is sufficient for HT. I will say this though, for reference I usually listen to 2 channel at around 95db with peaks to 105db and I NEVER turn the RSW 15 above half and it works just fine to equalize the sound coming from the Khorns.

IMHO, assuming you aren't a HT junkie like scrappy you will find that sub to be more than enough for your listening enjoyment. :) and you won't need another one.

i ain't no junkie! Lol. I just like clean effortless bass. And 4 18's can get er done Edited by Scrappydue

I will read these links and see what I can do.  At this point the RSW15 is very nice and really rocks the room without much effort (input) required.   Just playing with some different positions.   The problem is this thing is huge and I was wondering if anyone has used after market wireless connections for their subs. 

Do you recommend a certain brand?  I saw RocketFish at Best buy but I could not determine if I could expand that system to two subs or if it was dedicated to just one sub.  Any other brands or experience with wireless systems for RCA connected Subs?

BTW I am happy I did get this RSW15.  I can not wait until it get it positioned/adjusted just right for my setup. 

I will play with the RW12 at the rear and RSW15 at the front middle locations. 

I am personally using that Rocketfish unit and it's working for my single 8" in one of the bedrooms.  If the room is small, it shouldn't be a problem and the woofer is in line of sight. 

This little guy's had a lot of great reviews though:

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/OAW3.html

Build some subwoofer riseres.  Mine's has wheels for easy movement.  The vented subs are around 150 lbs ea. and the dual sealed sub are around 200 lbs ea.  I have not figured out how I will ever get them upstairs again, lol.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

I am personally using that Rocketfish unit and it's working for my single 8" in one of the bedrooms.  If the room is small, it shouldn't be a problem and the woofer is in line of sight. 

This little guy's had a lot of great reviews though:

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/OAW3.html

Does the Rocketfish have a way to connect a second sub?  Can you use one Transmitter and two Receivers?  Also, what about having one sub hard wired (front sub) and then using the Rocketfish for the rear.  Does Rocketfish have away to do that or do you have to use a Y cable? 

You have to be able to adjust for delay since the sub Rocketfish will be slower in signal response.

I agree if I ran one off the RCA and one off the wireless system the timing would be off.  What if I ran both subs using one transmitter and two receivers the signal should be identical.    I am just wondering if Rocketfish item can have two receivers run off of one transmitter.  They do not advertise that on their webpage or item literature (installation manual).  I see other wireless item offer multiple receivers.  I might have to order online one of these other systems.