Opinions on CDT-5800-CII in-ceiling.

Kman

No way to demo these- but am familiar with the Reference II Line- so figured these would suffice for an Atmos setup being constructed. I had the room pre-wired for 9.1.6. . They seem pretty beefy and should matchup nicely with the RF7 system I will be using. It will be at least 3-4 months before I will be able to hear them though. so for now they remained boxed up. I do like how they have tweeters you can aim towards listening area.

Just curious if anyone owns these or has some experience with them. Also do you think the enclosure kits are necessary?

Edited by Kman

I'm about to install like four of them.  Come by western KY in a month or two and you can demo.  The enclosures are nice and stiff but unless you have a metal brake its mostly for new construction.  If it is in fact new construction, it's a no brainer, get them, they are cheap enough, plus the drywall guys can make quick work of it, otherwise the drywall would be a PITA and the tabs/ears too long to fit between studs.  I have no idea where you are but I have some enclosures on hand if anybody wanted to see in person or wanted more pics.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I'm about to install like four of them.  Come by western KY in a month or two and you can demo.  The enclosures are nice and stiff but unless you have a metal brake its mostly for new construction.  If it is in fact new construction, it's a no brainer, get them, they are cheap enough, plus the drywall guys can make quick work of it, otherwise the drywall would be a PITA and the tabs/ears too long to fit between studs.  I have no idea where you are but I have some enclosures on hand if anybody wanted to see in person or wanted more pics.  

I'm from MA- but would love to hear a demo. yes, the construction is new. but still not sure how these are installed. do they go in before the drywall and then the drywall goes over the enclosure? or are they set up from above-say an attic space. which is what I have. right now they are $78 a pier. so if I install six of them- it adds up in cost. 

Are you saying that theyre too wide to fit between typical joist spacing?

http://images.klipsch.com/ME800C_635042118497170000.pdf

The front is flat and it is 18" wide.  If you have 16" centers that might be an issue.  I'm not sure how you're supposed to retrofit them with 16" centers without bending the edges a little.  New construction, they'd bolt right up against the studs.  With 24" centers it should fit between the studs/joists/trusses.  I guess most people do 24" nowadays for trusses so what I was saying probably isn't applicable in most cases.  

The steel on these are stiffer than they look in the pictures, I was surprised.  

I have 4 of these installed in our family room doing side and rear surround duty. I chose these for high WAF. Sound OK to me although I don't have anything to compare. They popped right into holes cut in ceiling drywall. So the woofers are infinite baffle as I don't have the enclosures on the back like MLO is talking about.

http://images.klipsch.com/ME800C_635042118497170000.pdf

The front is flat and it is 18" wide.  If you have 16" centers that might be an issue.  I'm not sure how you're supposed to retrofit them with 16" centers without bending the edges a little.  New construction, they'd bolt right up against the studs.  With 24" centers it should fit between the studs/joists/trusses.  I guess most people do 24" nowadays for trusses so what I was saying probably isn't applicable in most cases.  

The steel on these are stiffer than they look in the pictures, I was surprised.  

Interesting that made them 18 inches. I'll have to re measure the ceiling joists to make sure. was also thinking maybe something like this might work- just to keep stuff off the speaker and maybe help with any moisture or debris that may come from an attic space.:

http://www.amazon.com/OEM-Systems-ISF-147-Ceiling-Protective/dp/B000PELN0C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421882778&sr=8-1&keywords=oem+systems+speaker+cover

Interesting that made them 18 inches. I'll have to re measure the ceiling joists to make sure. was also thinking maybe something like this might work- just to keep stuff off the speaker and maybe help with any moisture or debris that may come from an attic space.:

http://www.amazon.com/OEM-Systems-ISF-147-Ceiling-Protective/dp/B000PELN0C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421882778&sr=8-1&keywords=oem+systems+speaker+cover

I was hoping they would help with sagging more than anything. I have had a house that got humid enough that drywall sagged with no help, much less a 10 pound speaker pressing down on them. Hopefully they would help with insulation too. Apparently even recessed lighting is a nightmare in terms of having a modern air-tight house. Energy efficient modern architects hate the things. These boxes ought to allow you to seal things up much better.

• 5 months later...

This is an old thread, but I talked recently to a guy at AcousticSoundDesign who told me that the CDT-5650 would work just as well for Atmos duty as the CDT-5800 since you don't need the extended LF response for this role that the larger woofers provide.

This is an old thread, but I talked recently to a guy at AcousticSoundDesign who told me that the CDT-5650 would work just as well for Atmos duty as the CDT-5800 since you don't need the extended LF response for this role that the larger woofers provide.

The Atmos developers would disagree. Read this Dolby press conference.  This is coming from Dolby's Director of Sound Research and the guy who was the re-recording mixer for the last Transformers movie.  

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/286-latest-industry-news/1681162-dolby-atmos-press-conference-cedia-2014-a.html

"what's also significant is to have full-range surrounds that don't wimp out when you pan things like helicopters to them. The sound retains its rich, deep character."

"an ideal Atmos system includes full-range speakers all around, including the overheads"

"beware of lighting fixtures; we're moving a lot of air, so anything loose is going to rattle!"

Ideally you would probably want the larger 5800's if possible.

176625411b0765a5c1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...