Pioneer AVR speaker channel question

JiminSTL

Have a Pioneer VSX-80TXV receiver, which I use under very modest conditions in my downstairs home office.  So, no "reference level" stuff.

The problem:  the right front channel seems to have gone out, meaning that I get no sound from the speaker assigned to it.  I have tested the speaker and connections.  The speaker/connections are not the problem.

Either this occurred upon turning the receiver on, or during play and it took a while for me to notice it.  Regardless, no sound from it.

So, what are the thoughts here?  Any hope for an "easy" fix or an inexpensive repair?  

If neither of the above is likely, might I use its Zone 2 capability instead?  I mean, I only use the L & R channels now in this relatively small area (11 x 13).  If Zone 2 would be the necessary or preferred workaround, how should I set my up DirecTV and DVD player so that their output is through my Klipsch speakers?

Hope I have been clear, and I appreciate the likely responses very much. 

Is that avr under warranty?  I watch TV with the FH speakers sometimes.  This works well but there will be dropouts with some shows/commercial in 2.0 stereo.  I usually don't do this intentionally, just negelected to make sure the 5 channel power amp is on so that the mains have power.  I guess zone 2 would work best.  It may also be worth fixing.

Edited by derrickdj1

Did just purchase the Yamaha RX-Z9 receiver yesterday that was on CL here in St. Louis.  I guess it will be coming down into my office (though, I really wish I had the knowledge, the setup mic, and the physical energy to put it in the place of my Pioneer SC-35 upstairs and see what I thought--is 66lbs, though, and not something that one does "lightly").  

If the Zone 2 idea is the likely best option for the  Pioneer VSX-80TXV, I will move it upstairs into my bedroom where I probably would be happy enough with the L/R setup and, possibly, a center--if I can do that in a Zone 2.  Don't really know.

Edited by JiminSTL

Did just purchase the Yamaha RX-Z9 receiver yesterday that was on CL here in St. Louis. I guess it will be coming down into my office (though, I really wish I had the knowledge, the setup mic, and the physical energy to put it in the place of my Pioneer SC-35 upstairs and see what I thought--is 66lbs, though, and not something that one does "lightly").

That new avr should be a formidable monster fo HT.  I like Yamaha and would love to compare MCACC to YPAO.

Jim, thanks for the input.  But as I am not as checked out in this as many others, what do you mean by

you will need a switch for the others to be hooked up as well.

?

What I would like to accomplish on Zone 2 is my DirecTV  and BR player to have output either to a sound bar or L/R speakers, Nothing more exotic than that.  But, I do not know how.

I don't know your receiver, so I don't know what yours is capable of. Some only do audio, so you Can only hook them into an audio player with RCA cables WITH ZONE 2. Some will do HDMI and video, but if yours is several years old, it may only be able to handle 1 audio hookup. If it only does audio,a switch won't help, but if it does AV, you can use an AV switch,or just plug the BD into the TV.

If you're looking for the TV screen and BD player to get hooked up to a sound bar, plug the BD player into the TV and switch back and forth within the TV for video, and hook your TV into the sound bar.

Edited by Jim

Also, if you are hooking up the Yamaha you just purchased, take the Pioneer and use it as a back up if it's worth fixing.

I'm looking at the user manual right now, and it has 2 inputs and 1 output, so zone 2 doesn't look like a viable option.

I would also really contemplate selling as is on Ebay and getting another modern AVR if that's where you're looking to go.

You can get another Yamaha RX-V (673-675) series for around $200.00 for something less than 2 years old,and it will give you internet access for apps (Pandora, Spotify, Internet Radio, Sirius Satellite), more HDMI inputs, zone 2/3. It will also run all your speakers besides the KLF's with no problems power wise. I had the RX-V675 and it was very nice for what it is. Nice sound, 90 watts per channel, and easy to use remote, and the picture quality through HDMI is very good and offers modernized upgrades with 4K and 3D.

• Like 1

Jim,

What you are suggesting makes a lot of sense.  Am I likely to find a Yamaha like you mention (if I am patient)?  What do you think of the Sonys?  My bro-in-law just completed a very expensive HT room, and has a Sony 1050 as the receiver driving everything.  Am not sure about that.  I get the impression they are middle weights in a heavy weight division?

I know, more than one question . . . .

Edited by JiminSTL

Okay.  You will love the Yamaha.  It is a great receiver from 8-10 years ago.  The only thing it is missing is HDMI.  

Now on to the Pioneer. Have you tried to play it in stereo only?  If the right channel is still not working you will have to use one of the other channels on the right side to get a stereo channel in zone 2.  Does the receiver have an option to run 5 or 7 channel stereo?  If so, use the right rear channel input for the right speaker in zone 2. 

I personally don't like the sound on Sony, to me they are very flat and dull sounding. I'd look on Ebay, there are Yamaha RX-V's all over the place. 

Sony being a middle weight in a heavy weight division is my opinion also.Just a touch above some of the lower ended models, although their top tiered receivers do get some good reviews.Most on here don't like their sound with Klipsch speakers either.

I've always preferred Yamaha due to their music sound and the lack of issues with them. I bought my 1st one back in 1997 and had it up until last year when I sold it to get one with HDMI. I had the RX-V2095. Kick myself in the rear for selling it.

Since I sold it I've had the RX-V 5 AND 6 series before settling on the RX-A2020 I have now.

japosey, will try that in the morning, too.  It may be that I can piece something together that sounds good.  Maybe not.  Obviously, is "easier" to simply junk the Pioneer and go with another used receiver--until it develops its own problem, in a week, or 5 years from now.

By using the rear channels, you are going to lose some of the bass response with them, unless you aren't really listening to music consistently loud.

Also, if you do get used from EBAY, get the aftermarket warranty from them, it is very good if needed,and you can get it for several years. I got a 3 year on my Yamaha, and also got a 3 year on a few set of speakers just in case. Cost me an extra $50.00 or so, but worth it, and if you don't use it within that time frame can cash it back in for some money back.