modified/split Lascala center

digjr

Enclosed a few pictures of my latest project. I am going to use this setup as a center to go along with my Korns, RS3s, and a KSW-12. The idea is to set the tv (on a seperate, wider top) on the base unit with the mid/tweeter unit attached to the rear wall above the tv. The top unit will be angled to listening level.

When I find some drivers I can afford, I plan to do something similar. The woofer section would have to be beside the TV, I can't raise it. Let us know how it turns out.

------------------

Jim

Family Room:

1979 La Scala's (mains)

SF-2 Center (pair)

RS-3 Surrounds

RC-3 Rear Center

KSW-10 Subs (pair)

Yamaha RX-V1 Reciever

Yamaha CDC-655 CD Player

Toshiba SD-1200 DVD

Toshiba TN50X81 50" HDTV

Bedroom:

Yamaha RX-V590

SF-1 Mainsc>s>

dndphishin-

I have been instructed to use low carbon steel to shield the woofer magnet. I think I will put a U shaped piece above the woofer in the enclosure and/or put a sheet of it between the tv and the woofer. Will probably use bucking for the top enclosure. One way or another I WILL make it work. Also, the top enclosure will have the Belle grille work. It should look nice.

digjr,

Whether the low carbon steel in conjunction with bucking magnets is going to sufficiently shield your TeeVee from magnetic interference is something that only trying it will decide. TeeVees vary tremendously in their sensitivity to outside magnetic interference. I have three brands (Toshiba, Sharp and Mitsubishi) of varying sizes. The big Toshiba 35" is so sensitive to any magnetic field that I have trouble finding a spot on the SAME SIDE OF THE ROOM where my speakers won't screw it up. On the other extreme, the Mitsu 27" is so well shielded that I get the feeling it wouldn't care if I put the woofer INSIDE the TeeVee cabinet. Nothing I do bothers it. The Sharp is in between those two extremes - within a foot or so, and the picture gets all goofy; outside that distance, it's okay.

If the low carbon steel is inadequate, your next step up is to try Mu metal (which is most hideously expensive compared to sheet steel.) If you need a source for it Frown.gif check out this link:

http://www.aircraftmaterialsuk.com/data/electronic/almu.html

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

Dig

This is an interesting project. What are the Dimentions of your bass section?

On my HT. I am using Two Heresy's, bass loaded only with K-24's under the screen and a K-400, K77 over the screen.

I may be interested in replacing my set of K-24's with a solution like this someday if I can get it under my screen.

JM

You might want to consider a Pro LaScala in split configuration. Bass bin is already in a separate cabinet, Mid and tweeter are in another separate cabinet. The finish is usually black, I have refinished them with spray or roll on pickup bed liner like Rhinoliner and they look pretty good. But I agree that you may have some picture tube problems due to the magnets.

I'm back

It is now after 5:00 so I guess my components are not arriving today. Anyway, I have an old 15" woofer that I placed about a foot away from my tv, close enough to cause distortion. I then took the side cover from an old computer and slid that between the tv and the speaker. The closer I kept it to the tv the better job of shielding it seemed to do. I'll have to wait til I get the new one to see if this approach will work.

Dimensions for the bass unit are 24 5/8" wide x 24 5/8" deep x 24" tall

digjr,

Check the thread "Danocaster's $300 Flat Black Pro LaScala" dated 7/25/02. There are two examples of Pro LaScalas there, one with the trapezoidal mids/tweeter section and one with the squared off mid/tweeter enclosure that I got for my church and refinished. I installed the protective strips and corners after refinishing them.

Roadhawg