subs sound like they're coming from beside me

Paducah Home Theater

I've got an interesting phenomenon, at some frequencies during movies it sounds like my subs are off to my side from a window, to my right, at least when I sit off to the right a little.  The thing is, there's nothing there.  My subs are up front.  I'm not sure what causes this.  Room modes maybe, maybe I'm hearing reflections from my RF-7ii's port on that side and the subs are "following" that, maybe sound is bouncing off the window strangely, I'm not sure.  Have you ever seen this?  I probably just need to run Audessey again as I've changed the room up quite a bit since running it last.  Otherwise maybe spreading more subs around the room, I'm not sure.  I didn't think this was possible with what is supposed to be omnidirectional bass.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

I've heard deep bass coming from the side, but only when there is a somewhat higher slight signal from part way between, say, the Right Front and the Right Surround (behind the listeners) to "cue" the bass to the side.  Often it is a not-very-loud lower midrange/upper bass sound from one front and one rear that makes the low bass part of that sound (coming from the sub -- below 80 Hz, I presume) sound like it is coming from the side.  That's the way it should be; that's the way surround sound places bass sounds that are supposed to be on the side ... on the side.  The incident that occurs near the beginning of The Grey (spoiler) produces impactive sound that includes deep bass all along our side walls, I'd say fron 5 to 8 or 9 locations along and beyond each wall, with just 5.1.  That's the best I've heard -- great sound mixing!

Find a part of a movie that seems to have bass coming from the side, then repeat it with all speakers except the sub(s) turned off, to see if the bass no longer seems to come from the side. 

I'd call deep bass "non-directional," or "non-localizable," rather than "omnidirectional" -- any given bass sound from a sub goes wherever the sounds from the other speakers "tell" it to go.

Edited by Garyrc
  • Like 1