Caring for your wood finish

Guest Steven1963

.it really has no drying agents in it unlike some of the oils that are formulated for wood finishing.

One reason why I like it... the shine it gives lasts

If you are happy with it and like the end results, case closed.

ok, thats what i was asking about, just cleaning the years of oils & residue off the surface.  not trying to remove the factory applied oil finish.  just like prepping a car for paint, its always a good idea to clean & remove wax or grease before sanding, otherwise you just rub all that crap into the surface. 

MOS is said to be caustic & the name is misleading, its ok for a poly or cleared surface but real wood it can hurt. 

thanks for the reply.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Don't want to H jack the thread, but as long as we are talking finishes..... this may sound strange, but I had a pair of BB CW's that I purchased used,  that had turned a little orange for my taste, I removed the components and scrubbed them with salt and water..... then put a light coat of wax on them. They looked great when I was done and still do a few years later.. if you look under " gave away my cornwalls" it might still be here somewhere?

Mr. Clark, perhaps a few photos of the nasty discoloration would help the discussion for you...

fdzCz6zm.jpg uEwuqL0m.jpg?1

These were purchased a while ago and I've always wanted to do something with them. There is no Black restorafinish, so I've been kind of scratching my head as to how to make them pretty. They sure sound nice though!

Guest Steven1963

Just re-oiled my 72's. Oooh so sweet!

OK, wonderful....but how does this add to the discussion?  Mr. Clark has an issue, and would like some advice and help.  Thanks anyway.

Mr. Clark didn't start the thread. I did. And if you look at the title, and read MY first post, you'd see that MY latest post, is completely relevant in that I am showing that the process I described in MY first post shows up in MY latest post. Besides, if I want to show off my speakers then I will damn well show off my speakers in a thread I STARTED.

Mr. Clark's issue is also relevant to the thread. But that doesn't mean I have to relinquish the topic and submit all further posts to his cause. Thanks anyway.

Edited by Steven1963

Guest Steven1963

:) It's all good, my friend. 

I honestly do not have any advice to help his speakers. Short of stripping them down and starting over.  And that's a lot of work!