Meat Prices

Jeff Matthews

... are now a bargain.

I was watching an old "I Love Lucy" episode where Ethel and she buy a side of beef and go to a butcher shop to sell it on the sly.  The signs in the butcher shop showed:

Pork chops:  $1.05/lb.

Bacon:  $0.98/lb

Stewing beef:  $1.08/lb.

$1.00 in 1952 is $8.79 today, when adjusting for average inflation over that period.  http://www.in2013dollars.com/1952-dollars-in-2014?amount=1

I was watching Gunsmoke the other night and as they walked into Delmonico's the sign outside said: steak dinner 30¢.

Although, I am not as sure what year Gunsmoke portrays. 1888?

Certainly not long after 1865, because they had a number of episodes with former Civil War characters, and not too much further than 1878'ish based on weaponry. Episode sequences were not produced in chronological order.

That $0.30 steak was probably jackrabbit, with the hair still on it.

Jeff, 

you want to know what's really bazar is that I can buy steaks here in San Antonio for one price (place called Bolners Meat Market), or drive to Laredo and buy the exact same cut of meat for $2 per lbs less (Variety Meats). Needless to say, whenever I drive down to visit my dad, I stop by Variety Meats and spend a few hundred on steaks, then vacuum pack when I get back home.

Edited by Gilbert

Certainly not long after 1865, because they had a number of episodes with former Civil War characters, and not too much further than 1878'ish based on weaponry. Episode sequences were not produced in chronological order.
Started in the 1870s, but considering how long the series ran it would have moved up to the '90s.

Bruce