Windows 7 Questions

tigerwoodKhorns

Marvel, I stand corrected. The Cisco IOS, Macs and many firmwares are based on Unix, as are BSD and Linux. They are not the same operating systems, but are common in many ways. If you know one OS well, the learning curve for another one is relatively small.

I remember the days of OS/2 Warp. Now that was a revolutionary OS. It died in v3.1 as I recall. I also remember the days of Amiga and Cray workstations. Those were beasts. All but gone... What's left? MS and Unix based OS'es. If there are others which are not completely proprietary, I am not aware of them.

Silicon Graphics Iris, too, MG. 

OS2 had a LOT of promise but the IBM folks were no more suited to debugging than MS was/is.  I only got it successfully installed once or twice.  When it worked it was significantly more stable than Windows.  I think that was about the time IBM realized that IBM "architecture" was way too cobbled together, PCs were not a core business strength,  and that mainframes really weren't going away.  They gradually and orderly drew back until spinning off their PC business to Lenovo. 

Maybe they should re-consider.  Be fun to have a PC with the Watson algorithm!

Dave

Warp 4 was really good. We had a fire alarm system that used it, but the vendor switched to Windows when IBM dropped it. You also had to buy the server version to get multiple cpu support.  I think I tossed the Warp 4 CD I had.

Bruce

Warp 4 was really good. We had a fire alarm system that used it, but the vendor switched to Windows when IBM dropped it. You also had to buy the server version to get multiple cpu support.  I think I tossed the Warp 4 CD I had.

Bruce

4.0 was the last one. I forgot. 

I bet you could find another OS/2 disc if you really wanted one.  :)  It would be fun to build an old 386 machine with warp on it. Had the 486 come out yet?

There was another OS I had when I ran a BBS that had multiple sessions, but I can't remember the name of it. It wasn't GUI, but divided the memory into virtual machines. I think it was a 386 with 5 virtual machines. All I can remember was that it was sporting a 1.2GB SCSI hard drive that was as big and heavy as my SuperDuty and just about as loud.  :)

I found a downloadable OS/2 ISO or floppy install:

https://winworldpc.com/product/os-2-warp-4

They made it in 1996, which corresponds to the 200MHz Pentium

There was also a 4.52 which lived between 2000 and 2006.Also had a server version, which is available for download at above link. That corresponds to Pentium Duo and Xeon Quads.

Edited by mustang guy