HD tracks...

Schu

A question for those that use HD Tracks to download high definition Albums... the site offers more than one version of an album, what is the difference between the regular HD version and the "Deluxe" HD version?

what file format (AIFF, WAV, ALAC, FLAC) do you use to download and why do you pick that version?

It depends.  There are often different options of HD resolution for a given Album (24-88, 24-96, 24-192) at different price levels, then there are often different versions of the album (i.e., regular album with original set of tracks, or deluxe edition with bonus tracks).  

I always download in FLAC, just because that is the standard format I use on my computer for downloads and uploaded CDs, etc.  I choose that over WAV to save file space as FLAC is compressed/lossless.  ALAC is the Apple version of compressed lossless.  I have no experience with AIFF.

AIFF if I'm not mistaken, will play higher resolutions. I may be wrong, but the dac it's going through will determine what you should use for teh download. I also use FLAC. I had the same question you did,and on the site, you can click on an option that will tell you the best file type to use. If you can do 192 and better. then I think AIFF is better. But again not 100% sure.

My DAC only goes as high as 96, so the site recommended me to FLAC.

I was looking at the Zep LP's that are on sale right now, both the remastered and the deluxe version are 96/24... and they do not explain what the differences are.

I have the deluxe of those, and its added bonus tracks such as live performances. There are 2 versions of the deluxe, the one for 35.00 and a box set for a 150.00.  I think the 35.00 deluxe set is the only way you can pick up the remastered.  I just opt for the regular version when I purchase from HD to save coast. I have heard AIFF is supposed to be good, but haven't tried it for 2 reasons.  1 I am familiar with FLAC, and 2 I know my device play back FLAC.  

AIFF, WAV, FLAC and ALAC are all lossless formats.  AIFF and WAV files are both non-compressed, so file sizes will be much larger.  FLAC and ALAC are similar compressed formats, so they take up less file space.   The compression is reversible (i.e., you can convert FLAC back to WAV, etc.).   

Any of the formats can handle up to the 24-192 HD on HD Tracks (and other HD sources).  I have a lot of 24-192 FLAC files.

That is also a reason why I use FLAC, there isn't enough of the stuff I listen to on there,as well as material I'd want to listen to at a higher bit rate than a normal cd and my DAC only goes up to a certain level, so it doesn't benefit me to go higher than 96 on bitrate.

using iTunes to look at bitrates and sample rates... why does my two versions of Zep III have different bitrates but the same sample rate and do both versions have the same end result in sound quality?

16498200699_4c26bb868d_o.jpg

Edited by Schu

TJIann, why does the computer then say which we should use with our DAC?

I assume its due to limitations of some DACs. Many cannot process any higher than 24-96 from computer, so not worth paying extra for 24-192 files. Unless you plan to upgrade the DAC at some point or load the music onto a portable player like Pono, etc.

using iTunes to look at bitrates and sample rates... why does my two versions of Zep III have different bitrates but the same sample rate and do both versions have the same end result in sound quality?

16498200699_4c26bb868d_o.jpg[/quote

One is a lossy AAC file at low bit rate of 128. The other is lossless format with higher bit rates.

Edited by TJIann

I tunes only does 128?  I use HD Tracks and just a caution, some of the HD albums that I have downloaded are not that great if the original recording was poorly done.  I buy much more music from Amazon which has good quality digital music.  They also have more of what I listen to.

I tunes only does 128?  I use HD Tracks and just a caution, some of the HD albums that I have downloaded are not that great if the original recording was poorly done.  I buy much more music from Amazon which has good quality digital music.  They also have more of what I listen to.

Must have been an early file version.  I used to use MP3 files and remember when 128 was the standard and then later on you were able to do the current MP3 standard of 320.  

I agree with you regarding HD Tracks.  What I like is that they supposedly go back to the master tapes (analog) source of the old recordings to create the HD version.  Just like what Neil Young is doing with the Pono music.  However, if the original recordings sucked, don't expect any improvement in HD.