Klipsch Sub 10 settings

t.klipfel

I was just wondering what I should keep my settings on my sub at for normal use.

I added a pic of the knobs etc on the back. (if it works)

I'm using a 5.1 channel setup with a pair of Klipsch KF28 towers as my fronts, a Polk cs10 for my center and a pair of Klipsh vs14 for my surrounds.

I'm using a Sony str dn1030 for my receiver. I'm currently bi-amp connecting my fronts and all of my speakers are set up as large.

I'm noticing my sub will activate for some media and not for others. The towers sound great without the sub but it sounds a little better overall with it running.

I'm just not finding any tips online and this forum seems to be very informative.

Thanks!

Edited by t.klipfel

What do you mean settings?  Crossover, you probably want between 60 and 80 Hz.

Phase, I'd leave at 0 unless you notice some really dull sounds coming from it.

Question:  Why did you set all of your speakers to large?  What's the other amp you're using to bi-amp?  Did you mean bi-wiring?

When using a sub, you should set them to small.  Not all towers are full range.  In an HT setup it's best to let the sub handle what it does best, and the speakers do what they do best.  The speakers respond down to 45 Hz usually or higher, so it's better for you to cross them over at 80 Hz, or even better at 60 Hz and let the sub do the rest.

As for bi-wiring...try using just some good 12 gauge wire and using the bridges on the speakers instead.  I bet you won't hear any difference and free up a speaker terminal on your receiver.

Edited by IbizaFlame

Good point. I'm using some 12 gauge anyways. The towers I'm using supposedly go as low as 32-35. I guess I just don't understand the purpose of bi wiring. I figured it would just give the towers more power since they are rated for 150.

If I did set my crossover at 60 on the tower what should I keep the sub at?

Also I don't think it's letting me add a pic from my note 4.

I actually have mine set to 70 just to make sure the blend is even out.  Gives a little extra punch in those 10 Hz ranges.

Bi-amping you might hear a difference, but bi-wiring as far as I've heard is a faux practice. (Personally)  There are some that might disagree, but I'm not a believer.

The towers would only get as much power as your amp will put out per channel regardless of connections.  So if it's rated 50 WPC into 7 channels, it's still only going to get 50 watts.

I'd check and see if it's actually putting out 145 WPC.  Barring the ES Sony receivers, I don't know many that exceed 65 with all channels driven other than on paper.  My friend has the model a step lower than yours and with all channels driven it's putting out about 40.

On my setup, my XOver is set to 60 Hz, because I can eq the speakers as well, I've got it set so that the front slopes at 62 Hz.  The sub's hi cut is at 70 Hz, I don't have a low pass set.  I also have my volume on the sub itself maxed while on my receiver it's set to +1 dB.  This is not going to work for everyone though.  The gain is entirely dependent on your room and your sound preferences.

Are you referring to the actual crossover (the unit built into the speaker that handles the speaker level in) or the crossover point (the point at which the towers woofers cross over to the tweeter)?  The receiver calibration is designed to cross over the front speakers with the subwoofer.  You're basically adding another crossover point.  Full range speakers have 2 to 4 crossover points (3 and 4 way designs).  This isn't uncommon. 

Michael's advice is pretty good.  Just so you know, we can also disagree with one another here because sometimes our experiences differ, meaning nobody is right or wrong, it just gives you different perspectives to consider.

For instance, he suggests you not bi-amp.  I think you'll find that is the majority opinion, or consensus opinion.  I bi-amp my speakers because it sounds better to me, but I would fully admit the differences are extremely small.  I have heard that some speakers bi-amp very well, others it makes no difference which may explain why some love it, others say it makes no difference.

+++

Michael, did I spell your name right?  Microsoft's spell checker doesn't seem to think so.  B)

+++

I've got racquetball in a few minutes, so I'll have a little more to say later, unless everybody else chimes in, leaving me nothing further to add.  :D

Edited by wvu80

I don't know about bi-amping exactly - hence I indicated there might be a difference.  I haven't tried that method personally, but I have at one point bi-wired which is a waste of wire to me.

No worries Dave, you're correct.  Microsoft has a vendetta against us Michaels I swear... :):P  And yes, differing opinions are part of any functioning community.  No worries at all. :)