why do US releases suck?

When I get stuff from eBay it doesn't exactly come from Best Buy.

Why are you talking to me like this? To me, it seems pretty rude. It makes me want to tell you that I'm not stupid, that I'm not 5 years old. Y'know? I don't get where this is coming from, but it's definitely rubbing me the wrong way. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to say here. I don't know.

Jeez. I'm saying that my overseas purchases usually comes from a fairly illegitimate gray market seller, not a large identifiable chain. By doing so they have their gray market export markup so I can't really directly compare prices, it's not comparing apples to apples.

If that's rude, well, I can't help you.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Even with my DVD movies and concerts, (I haven't upgraded to Blu-ray yet)

After everything you wrote about the lengths you go to for good audio and video, this really surprises me.

For me to upgrade, it would be very costly, time-consuming, and it I'd have to figure out what to do with all of my DVDs. I have over a hundred DVD movies, several dozen T.V. shows on DVD, and several concert DVDs, all of which are VERY LIKELY available on Blu-ray by now (I basically have over 150 DVDs). My computer monitor is also not good enough for Blu-ray, and I also don't have a Blu-ray drive. Sure, replacing the monitor isn't a requirement, but it certainly makes an appreciable difference! I mean, it's just a Samsung 2253BW (1680 x 1050). It's 7 years old, and even back then, it was just a $300 monitor! The kind of monitor that I would want would cost at least $400, but likely more. You see, I know what I want now, and I don't want to settle for less because then it wouldn't be a noticeable upgrade over this one.

Then there's the average cost of a Blu-ray drive. I can't justify spending $50 or more for a simple Blu-ray drive when in 2008, simple DVD drives were about $20. It kind of irritates me that Blu-ray drives aren't $20 yet!

Then there's the cost of time and money of finding and buying the Blu-ray versions of every DVD that I own (or, at least the ones that are available on Blu-ray). It would be time-consuming because I most certainly can't replace all of them in one purchase; I'd have to purchase maybe 2-3 Blu-rays per month at the most on my budget. I'd also want to take the time to find the best Blu-rays possible rather than just blindly purchasing them, and I'd want to shop around for the best prices. So, replacing over 150 DVDs at 2-3 per month would take 4-5 years or more. In addition, I'd have to make room for these Blu-rays, so I would have to either learn how to sell things on eBay or on Craig's List or locally in order to get rid of my DVDs, or at least find a new home in my room for all of my DVDs because at present, my entire DVD collection is consuming up the entire space that I have available for DVDs - and I don't have anywhere else to put them. I'd have to make room somewhere. A few of these DVDs are laying down on top of the ones that are standing up, so each Blu-ray would have to replace its DVD counterpart (there's not enough room on top of the DVDs to stand Blu-rays up on top of them).

So for me, the entire upgrade would be a very expensive and very daunting task (not to mention again that it would be very time-consuming). Worse than that, I'm betting that by the time I finish the work of replacing my entire collection with Blu-rays (or at least what's available on Blu-ray), the industry will probably have something that's even better than Blu-rays, maybe something where the standard release can finally have 100% lossless audio and video while still being fully loaded with special features. So, until I can afford to replace my collection in just a few months of time rather than 4-5 years or more, I won't ever feel up to going through with it. The thought of spending 4-5 years or more on that task alone overwhelms the crap out of me. So, I have to kind of pretend that Blu-rays don't exist in my world.

You most likely thought about this. What if you were to consolidate your collection and sell them as a lot on EBay. You could possibly make enough flow to get you started on the other end.

Jeez. I'm saying that my overseas purchases usually comes from a fairly illegitimate gray market seller, not a large identifiable chain. By doing so they have their gray market export markup so I can't really directly compare prices, it's not comparing apples to apples.

If that's rude, well, I can't help you.

No, I honestly misunderstood.

Anyway, today is the first time I've ever looked at Blu-ray.com. What I didn't realize was that Blu-ray.com is just a way to find movies for sale on Amazon.com.

You most likely thought about this. What if you were to consolidate your collection and sell them as a lot on EBay. You could possibly make enough flow to get you started on the other end.

Actually, I haven't. I've never sold anything on eBay believe it or not. I suppose I could try that if I needed to. Thank you for the tip!

Edited by TwoCables
  • Like 1