Cornwall Questions

hightone

I just got my fathers cornwalls back after he gave them up about a dozen years ago to his brother (my uncle).I had to hear that sound from when I was younger. He had them in his garage. When I found out I ran over there (in the garage ????)He gave them up for $100.00. They are in pretty good shape all things considerd. My dad can not remeber what year he bought them he thinks 1980.s/n 6n971 and 6n970. Can any one help date them? Also If I wanted to buy replacement drivers and so on (for back-up you never know)where wound I look?

Congratulations on your purchase, you have a great pair of speakers.

If the drivers are in good working condition, there is no need to replace them. My 1977 originals are working fine.

You may want to consider replacing the capacitors and inductors in the crossovers. The cheaper route is a 2.0 uF (Hovland is the best $22 (US), but more expensive, Solen fastcap($3-5) will work) and a 4.0 uF (you can economize here, Solen fastcap). For the inductor, a Solen solid wire inductor, 12 gauge is best, 14 is ok.

Or you can go the whole hog and get the ALK versions of the crossovers by Al K. There are many reviews on line here that rave about them.

The above recommendations for replacing the capacitors and inductors were provided to me by Al. He is extremely helpful.

The polypropylene caps (Hovland or Solen) will improve the dynamics and soundstage. The inductors will greatly increase the tightness and intensity of the bass. Both options will take a lot of "burning in", I would say 100 to 200 hours to get all of the benefits.

Some rope caulk on the throat of the mid-range squawker also tunes down some ringing or harshness from this speaker. I found two packs at Home Depot, $2-3 each (Cdn) did the trick. At a certain point they take away too much and it will require a little experimenting to find the right amount.

Of course, others will recommend getting yourself a tube amp and preamp, or an integrated tube amp. If you have the money, great advice.

You are just getting started. Enjoy.

Don

Hightone...

Just clean em up enjoy em....I am sure they sound fantastic. As for the drivers...You can contact Klipsch here...for any needs. Yours are very desireable. ( seen on Ebay for 800-2,000 a pair so you STOLE EM!!!) I am jealous. Where is my dad or uncle with a pair for me????

Mace:

Is the application of the window caulk reversable? i.e., if I apply some to the squaker and tweeter can I easily remove it without leaving marks?

Not a problem. I put on three packages and found it too subdued, so i removed two thin ropes and have a sound more to my liking. Easy to do and reversible. I also tried it on the tweeters, but it dulled them beyond belief, at least for my ears.

Don

Thanks for the welcome.

I am happy to say the drivers are fine as well as everything else with the cornwalls. They sound great!

They do sound a bit harsh up top with a few things I have listened to though. I think it will take me a long while to decide if I would tweek them. Mabey the next pair. I would not want mess with the only ones I have. But will keep in mind the options. thanks again.

My current system

Marantz SR7200

Toshiba SD5700 DVD

cornwall mains

Boston

PV 1000 sub

VR-MC center

VR-50 surrounds

CR-75 rear center