Test Driving Used Khorns....What to do?

& whatever you do, dont let the seller persuade you by saying what "new" k-horns cost... this is a common tactic & has nothing to do with the price of 20-30+ year old speakers. 

if that comes up,  tell him you have a 1986 ford truck you will sell him for $20 grand... because you know, 2015 ford trucks sell for $40 grand!  ;)

Not only can you get good advice for testing speakers while buying, you also get suggestions for snappy comebacks!   :lol:

I love this place!  :D

Or bring him some BOSE speakers, and offer to trade. They are certainly appreciating as we speak! WVU can get you a deal on these! (Dave, give me a call if contacted).

Edited by eth2
  • Like 1

Print out the date code from the forum take it with you so you know exactly what your buying. It will tell you the original finish also. Inspect the whole speaker any thing other that the wood veneer can be fixed pretty easy. If water damage at bottom offer 1/2 or less and walk away. Mine are 1972 so they are 42 years old and the woofers in them were pristine but there were leaves and mouse poop.I sold my original woofers to forum member and bought Crites cast woofers. The cabinet and veneer are the main thing to look at. There use to be three different models   Decorator  K-D then model C  K-C then Model B   K-B. Learn as much as you can on the forum there is a lot of info. here.   Rick

I would never ever let anyone disconnect or check my speakers, not even God.

JJK

That would likely be a deal breaker for me - no way I'm going to buy anything that expensive without thoroughly checking them out. If I found a problem, I would negotiate the price down, not kill the deal.

Edited by Don Richard

1, My Khorns are newer than that and I can pull a lead off the mids. Not sure what you are talking about here.

2, Depends on the seller. Not everyone is like we are. I opened the bass bin when I bought my LaScalas.

the 55m driver & AK-3 xovers i have seen have all leads soldered. the mid is connected with push on connectors but if you look close they are soldered.  i think the ak-2 did this too. 

not sure what year your speakers are, but most mid 80's to mid 90's k-horns will have this type of connection, not sure of the exact years but the ones with the big clear monster cable wires are most likely soldered. 

post-57869-0-55460000-1426116974_thumb.j

Edited by klipschfancf4