Klipsch Premiere crossover and bracing/driver pics?

ninjai18

I bought my new car without looking at the engine and it still makes me smile every time I get into it.

And some cars the hood can't be opened by anyone other than the dealer.

My grandfather had a friend that owned an antique Rolls Royce owned by the queen of England. Entire engine had a lock on it.

• Like 1

PK may have said that, but what constitutes "right values" - especially in the context of the time period in which he said that? We know he wanted low ESR, but again, what was "low ESR" in the 60s? Stated another way, what was considered a "good measuring capacitor" 40 or 50 years ago? We now know that Dielectric Absorption plays a dominate role in the behavior of capacitors, something not even under consideration even 25 years ago. Then there is the issue of linearity.

Different capacitor types measure different and so sound different. To say that things that measure different sound the same is being grossly inconsistent. People easily discern these differences, even under casual listening conditions. Now, DBT says that there are no real differences, which only demonstrates the flaw(s) in DBT. Mark Deneen did a great job with this issue, and it's on my site for anyone who wants to read it.

The capacitors on the networks that PK designed were actually quite lossy by today's standards (higher ESR). This is why when you build them with metallized and quality film types, the midrange/upper registers are almost painfully bright (unless you listen at relatively low volume levels).

I also have a notation in PK's own handwriting requiring the use of "oil filled capacitors". The oil provides a form of damping, and absolutely effects the sound. I've built every different network every different way imaginable. I build the way I do for a reason.

Networks that allow the user to adjust the output level of the midrange are very popular, for good reason. Most find that a 3dB drop in output is preferred. However, even after the network is used to bring the loudspeaker into balance, the sound is still somewhat brazen and sterile in presentation when compared to a true vintage rebuild.