Distortion...

Schu

This may be a workaround but not the solution to the true problem.

Actually, on this particular point, I'll agree to disagree. 

I believe that the real problem is Loudness War compression of music--not that fact that DACs and analog circuitry downstream of those DACs faithfully reproduce clipping without covering it up so that the listener isn't aware of what is happening.

The course of action that I suggested above will eliminate the problem, as I recommend with all your music: get rid of the limited (clipped) waveforms and restore them to something approaching what you'd capture from a well set up stereo microphone.  I also highly recommend undoing the "spectral shaping" used in the tracks to make them louder, too.

YMMV.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/155096-the-missing-octaves-audacity-remastering-to-restore-tracks/

Chris

Edited by Chris A

let me digest a few of these ideas... thankfully it does NOT seem to be the cross overs, drivers... etc, But it resides somewhere in the Oppo-Wyred area of the set up.

the easy work around is just run it using the pioneer DAC via HDMI on those tracks where I know this to be of greatest issue.

For the longest while I was thinking/shopping for replacement tweeters, perhaps something with great out capabilities... not the case any longer.

It sounds like a digital image or 'alias'.

320px-Aliasing-folding.png

Try a different digital player.

I had a player in my computer that did this, I had to get a different one.

Edited by djk

As in defective player or inherently bad design?
Depends on the source. Like I mentioned before, not all digital gear handles clipping in the same way. Welcome to the twilight zone.

Fyi... rating on dynamic range database is extremely low on this release.
Two trakcs are permanently cooked, and the rest (show at -0.1 dB FS) is too for all intents. I've run across lots of gear that can't do within -1 dB FS, much less a fraction thereof.

It's just mastered too damn loud.  With over 100 dB dynamic range to play around with, this is something we should never have to base the performance of our gear on IMO. Like trying to hit a home run from inside the dugout.