RS 62ii vs RS 7

mxr dad

What do you guys think? I have the RF 7ii, RC 64ii and the RS7. Do you think it is worth changing my RS 7 for the RS 62ii? I use 5.1 setup for HT. I have successfully convinced myself there wont be much of a difference, and its not worth it, but would like to hear from the Ol Wise Owls here. Help me SAVE my money here not spend it! LOL.  :D  But let the truth set me free! What cha think?

What do you guys think? I have the RF 7ii, RC 64ii and the RS7. Do you think it is worth changing my RS 7 for the RS 62ii? I use 5.1 setup for HT. I have successfully convinced myself there wont be much of a difference, and its not worth it, but would like to hear from the Ol Wise Owls here. Help me SAVE my money here not spend it! LOL.  :D  But let the truth set me free! What cha think?

Okay my take on the last few generations of Reference surrounds.

Good===RS-25>>>RS-42/42II>>>RS-35>>>RS-52/52II>>>RS-7/RS-62/62II===BEST

I think there are incremental improvements from the RS-25 through to the RS-52 due mostly because of woofer size and horns.

Another small jump to the RS-7 and RS-62 without a clear winner between the two.  Both the RS-7's and the RS-62's/62II's are beasts that do sound "big" because they are big.

If you want things to match better aesthetically, then yes the RS-62II's would be worth changing to.

Bill

Edited by willland

Having never owned or heard the RS62-II's I can't help you there. However as an owner of the RS52II's and RS-7's, I will say that the RS7 blows away the RS-52II's.

Many have commented that the difference between the 52II and 62II is marginal at best. Now that prices have come down a bit it may be worthwhile if you have an itch that needs scratching.

If I could fit another pair of RS-7's where my RS52II's are placed, I would do it in a heartbeat.

My (wide dispersion) RS-7's have been my primary choice for surround duty. For practical purposes, the WDST (wide dispersion sound technology) perform similar to (phased) bipole designs.

The complete opposite of WDST would be my direct radiating RB-35's. At various times I've also used the RB-35's for rear surround duty. Both options are at ear level, with corner wall placement & fairly close to the MLP.  And to be honest the difference between the two was very subtle. For HT, surround effects are secondary & not overly pronounced to begin with. And despite being 2 completely different approaches with the speaker design, I personally could live with either option just fine. 

I don't know your room & placement, overall the RS-7's will be fuller based on the 8" woofer, but I would suspect the difference between the RS-7 & the RS 62II would be subtle as well. 

Edited by Nismo

If it was me, instead of swapping out the RS- 62 II for the RS-7.... I'd go a different route & add the RS-62II to the RS-7 for 7.1 set up. You could physically position one pair higher up & play with the crossovers, levels & configuration for each pair to target a different sound stage.

Swapping out the RF-7's would be subtle. Adding the RS-62 II to the rear surrounds would be anything but subtle. That approach would really fill in the rear surrounds & make for a noticeable difference. 

Edited by Nismo

Interesting. My room is basically a rectangle shaped room maybe 18 ft X 30 ft with vaulted ceiling. I may start another thread one of these days with drawing showing the room and see what opinions I get for setup. I have the speakers, amps and receiver to handle 7.2  I just dont know if I have the room or should I say a room ideal for 7.1