Klipsch Kartoon

WMcD

This strikes a little too close to home (or future home)!! cwm6.gif

I'm currently looking for my next Great Job. I'm a COBOL programmer with extensive business management experience in Dallas, Texas. cwm15.gif

I would be interested in talking to anyone that can help with a lead.

I normally would not have posted this here, but you take your oppurtunities where you find them.

Best Wishes to all,

Mike

------------------

4 Cornwalls & McIntosh SS

This message has been edited by Good2BHome on 08-14-2002 at 08:43 PM

I saw this cartoon several years ago. It is as funny now as it was then...Guess I'm still a snob!

cwm4.gif

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Technique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Mitsubishi 50" Screen

Mitsubishi HSU-575 HiFi VCR

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround

Klipsch KSW 12 Subwoofer

Denon DRA-295 Stereo Receiver Driving Outdoor Speakers

Boston Acoustics OutDoor Speakers

My Home Theater Page http://www.geocities.com/scooterb4u/ScootersHT.html

Didn't want to step on your line ShapeShifter, but it brought back memories. Your version reminded me of the old cartoon showing two well-to-do gentlemen passing a drunk sprawled in the street... with the caption, "There, but by the grace of God, go I."

Years ago, after having been swindled out of my fortune, I was walking down 42nd Street with a friend. We passed several down-and-outers with their bottles in paper sacks... and I was reminded of the old cartoon. As we neared Grand Central Station, a chauffeured Rolls rolled slowly by in the mid-day traffic with a guy about my age caught up with life in the fast lane... and in a stream of consciousness I said, "There, but by the grace of God, go I."

It was my thought that in this life, "Hell" happens no matter which side of the economic spectrum one prowls. With all its ups and downs... joys and sorrows... I am glad I had the opportunity to be me... and that, so far, my Rolls experience has not been in a hearse!

Since your ShapeShifter handle honors those who peopled this land long before the pilgrims, a little juxtaposition daydream seemed to fit.

And now back to our regularly scheduled audio programming...

cwm22.gif "Attention Lurkers, you too could be a ShapeShifter... just modify the motorboard of a floorstanding speaker that matches your mains!" cwm32.gif -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg

Aye, and right ye be, Gil! Indeed, a member of this Forum... and found wanting in more ways than one.

Being a member of the Forum goes hand-in-glove with a commitment to PWK Sound elegance... and loudspeakers being a technology influenced pathway... there seems to always be another "right of passage" beyond each new tweak.cwm12.gifcwm20.gifcwm34.gif

Then again, cwm15.gif on a largely free and open Forum, there will always be a minority of theoretical nitpickers and virtual arsonists cwm23.gif... why I have even seen a Chicago Esquire taken to task for a floppy Mavica... it just didn't seem to fit his "hi-rez" mental prowess.

Take this "cluless example: After backing into a lesser Klipsch config... our token "Topic Ranger-ess" and self-confessed "Non-Audiophile" has traded her "Cat College Fund" for an RF-7 laced HT... and she is still wanting. The word is that she is fishing for bigger bass in a "small water heater."

As for me, my illness has given me the opportunity to enjoy playing my Klipsch sound doughnuts with less attention to the holes... and be thankful for what I have been able to receive in this world.

For example, I am listening to the "My Lily" CD by those virtuoso teens Tashima and Tristan Clarridge (www.clarridgefiddlers.com)... one of the music groups I have photographed for new album covers this summer. They are classically trained violinists that have reached beyond their years to become awesome Celtic musicians. Radim Zenkl, the world class mandolin player, is one of their biggest fans and set in for the title track.

Their Irish, Scots, and Cape Breton Island sounds are coming from my PWK three-channel config (K-horns & Belle)... and seems as fresh and alive as the live outdoor concert I photographed a month or so ago... or maybe even better!

As for my own wants (beyond the health to enjoy what I have), my thoughts wander back to my communications with, my hero, Q-man... and our thoughts of building a room designed to acoustically enhance six Klipschorns with inverted LaScalas front and back as "Effects" speakers cwm32.gif! Building the room with sufficient built-in corners to do justice to a 6.1 Klipschorn Multi-Channel Music and HT blending the genius of Paul W. Klipsch and Floyd E. Toole is a great challenge. And challenge is important when life is a journey and not merely a destination.

Yes, Gil, threads on this forum can wander... and sometimes quite far a field. But, by such wanderings we get to know one another better as people and not just Klipsch aficionados. Sure, we can all find websites that specialize in one thing or another... but here on the Klipsch Forum we have a mix of various (often shifting) viewpoints that, fortunately, add more character than flames... and few forums of any stripe can match what can be found on this one. And, your sharing of your audiophile knowledge base and non-audiophile sage opinions are an excellent example of the quality we have as individuals and as an inspired consensus. Thanks for being there! -HornED

PS: I hear the guy in the cartoon carton is "wanting" to expand to a K-horn shipping crate!cwm33.gif

Dear Ed,

Thanks for the kind words.

I couldn't agree more, this is a good crew.

The squib on your graphic invited the comment, though I was also concerned over comments on you own health. I hope things are going well.

BTW, I like the movie, A Knight's Tale. When I visit friends it is a challenge to find an after dinner movie tape which is acceptable to all. That one did the job.

One has to wonder about the fellow who had to pitch the idea to the money men. "It is a story about jousting and the peasants are going to singing rock music."

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 08-21-2002 at 08:19 PM

As a longtime medieval history buff and participant in festivals across the country, I looked forward to a Knight's Tale only to be put off by the "modernizing" concept of its music and the lack of authenticity of the jousting. However, when I got a chance to buy a copy for under $10 as a previously viewed Blockbuster DVD... I took the plunge.

One viewing in my Legend Home Theater... all of its flagrant technical flaws faded into the background... and the character of the film coupled with its overt and tongue-in-cheek humor made it into one of my favorite films... and it really ROCKS in 6.1 dts!

Of course, the depiction of Chaucer during a period of his life that is not well documented was particularly fun for me. The type font on my "sig photo" was built from a scrap of writing attributed to Geoffrey Chaucer. Chaucer wrote a treatise on the Astrolabe in English for his ten year-old son (who had not yet learned Latin, the language of science papers in those days). That document became the first scientific paper ever written in English! I use an Astrolabe to tell time when I am doing Ren Fairs.

This is one DVD that has some worthwhile extras on the disc. Most of the film was filmed in Eastern Europe... and the extras in the "stock" scenes were actually homeless down-and-outers from Prague dressed up for the part. The director wanted to have a crowd that bore the look of hard times... which medieval times were for the peasants.

Another issue was the contemporary music and "Hollywood-esque" non-period fashions. The director explained that away by saying that he wanted to convey a sense of contemporary connection with an audience that has very few medieval scholars. It's a far out concept but it seems to work very well in the many showings that I have had for friends and family.

Hopefully, its success will spur some jousting tourneys with more authentic horses and gear... such as used by the Cimmarian Free Lancers who annually host a three day tournament at Scarborough Faire (Waxahachie, Texas). The knights come from all corners of the nation and are scored on a strict point system.

Hmmm, perhaps this should have been in the "General" or "DVD" Section... but if there ever was a film full of "Odds & Mods"... this was it! Thanks for the opportunity to digress about a film that brings out the best your Klipsch can muster! And if you have "Reference Level" (121.5 dB at 20Hz) bass... TURN IT UP for this one. -HornED

• 2 weeks later...

Nay not, good Lady Cluless... Forsooth, 'tis distain that he is showing to the pretty maids all in a row awaiting to bestow their favor on such a handsome and gallant knight!

Methinks Sir Doug of the Drake should flee the Land of Legosity and venture into a proper Renaissance Pleasure Faire where all the family may enjoy the better part of medieval manifestations apart from electronic wizardry. It refreshes the mind and retunes the ears to live music... all the better to appreciate the "live" sound of Klipsch upon thy return to Castle Drake. -HornEd, gray bearded member of the Friends of Faire

This message has been edited by HornEd on 08-31-2002 at 10:09 AM

Ed-

Me-thinks you are right, but perhaps a sojourn of this length could be too difficult for a lad of his tender years, although daunting and daring he may be. A trip to a Faire would definitely be more imagination inspiring in any event. I am always willing to heft a pint of ale to support the cause...

Cheers...Wheeecwm29.gif

Faire Friend Ed - Perchance I shall heed thy advice one day. Alas, such a Faire in Arizona is found lacking, at least one in a setting befitting the noble Knights and Damsels. Large dirt fields surrounded by larger dirt fields do not engender the proper atmosphere in which to partake of the delights of a Faire, IMHO. (Ya gotta have trees and temperatures below 100 freaking degrees, for heaven's sake!)

As my sister lives in Napa, perhaps we will be there at a suitable time to enjoy such a festivity in a better setting!

DD

------------------

My System

Doug, unfortunately the Faire will be running between mid-September to the end of October... which may conflict with school time. The Northern Renaissance Pleasure Faire will be held in a cool forest at Casa de Frutas (14 miles east of Gilroy, the Garlic Capitol of the World and about 135 miles South of Napa). Maybe I'll post some "horn" photos as the fair progresses as I take photos for the Faire. -HornED

PS: Doug, I am not overjoyed of hot weather faires... particularly when authentic costuming is layered and designed for a colder climate... but some of the best faires are in hot weather areas. Hmmm, maybe I should publish some of the tricks we participants use in hot weather. -H.E.

PPS: Carol, if only your next trip to S.F. were during one of the Faires, I would be privileged to hoist a pint or three with thee! And, just so, shall I do as this faire commences in mid-September as tribute to all that ales thee! -ED