KLF-30 connection

HI GUYS! I apologize in advance for this total newbie question! Just received my KLF-30S. Which set of input terminals ("HF" OR "LF") should I use to connect to my 5.1 home theater amp(straight connection, not bi-wiring or bi-amping) This simple connection is not addressed in the owners manual. Thanks. Smile.gifcwm27.gif

This message has been edited by klipschlover on 08-14-2002 at 08:19 AM

Assuming that you are not going to remove the strap that connects the High Frequency and Low frequency drivers to the amplifier the speakerwires can be connected to either set of connectors.

Congratulations on your purchase - you've got yourself one sweet set of speakers. The only way I'd let go of mine is to replace them with a set of Klipschorns.

What do you have for the rest of your system?

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

NO NEED TO APOLOGIZE!!!

MAKE SURE there are metal bands connecting the LF and HF inputs! If they are there, you can use either.

HOWEVER, I would use the LF, ONLY because in the rare/non-exsistant case the metal bands fell out, the woofers could handle full-range sound, the HF section would be fried in less than a thousandth of a second, no joking.

Welcome and enjoy the KLF-30's, lucky boy you!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

It takes time to acquire equipment of this caliber. I first lusted after a set of Klipsch Tangent floorstanders...that was 13yrs ago. Could not part with the bucks then. Settled for a pair of JBL 4312A Control Monitors which I have run as my mains ever since. Added a piece here and there until I had a 5.1 HT system. Have read many posts on this site in the past few months comparing the KLF-30s with the new RF's and felt that the three-way speakers would best satisfy my taste. Still not aggressively searching for a pair though...getting scarce as they are no longer manufactured, and very pricy WHEN you can find 'em. CANNOT BELIEVE my good fortune at learning from a post on this site that ubid is selling the KLF-30s "for about a grand per pair, delivered"! THANK YOU FLASON!!cwm17.gif Checked it out and stole a pair!!! Received ONE speaker yesterday and the other is scheduled for delivery today. Until now, I had never seen the speaker in person...AMG it is HUGE...CANNOT WAIT until the other speaker comes today! This is the beginning of the HT/music system I have always wanted! Thanks to all enthusiasts who freely share their knowledge/experience here...it is invaluable, as you already know! Of course, I will be upgrading my receiver, etc as soon as possible, but for now, this is the setup:

KLF-30s main

KSC-C1 center(will be overpowered by the 30's I'm sure)

JBL 4312As to surround

Infinity BU-120 sub

Yamaha HTR 5250

Toshiba 56H80 16:9 HD ready

lynnm(donning Asbestos protective gear and opting for the optional triple protected and water cooled jockey shorts) - damned wire threads are dangerous).cwm27.gif

Whatever the truth of the claim that Monster etc. cable is beneficial for linking the amp and speakers, I suspect that the metal strap as shipped with the speakers is entirely adequate and replacing it with wire could even present the possibility of inadvertant shorts etc. I say leave well enough alone.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

Thanks Steve! Already snagged one! Any advice on the other speakers which are recommended by Klipsch to go with the 30's and C7? The owners manual recommends KSP-S6's for surrounds and the KSW-300 sub. The many interesting and informative posts on this site have left me wondering if a sub will indeed be needed! Also, I am considering moving my JBL 4312As to surround. All input is highly valued! My first upgrade I feel, should probably be the home theater receiver. Agree? cwm7.gif

Congrats on the 30's!

I got mine a year ago... I got some Cornwalls earlier this year and while I slightly favor them I can't quite convince myself to sell the 30's. The bass is truly superb.. tight, deep, no mud at all.

I would recommend using the spikes as this seems to tighten up the sound a bit (at least it did for me). As far as straps vs. wire for connecting LF and HF I couldn't tell a difference when I replaced the straps with Monster.

Distance from the wall is important with 30's because of the rear firing bass ports. You'll have to play with position to see what meets your liking. In general, the further from the back wall the better the imaging... the closer to the back wall more bass. But, overall room acoustics play a huge role in the overall sound of any sound system so try different speaker positions and toe-in angles and such. Even a few inches can make a difference.

Mace

• 1 year later...

I bought a pair 5 yrs ago... Then bought another pair for rear channel speakers bought 3 yrs ago. They make a great soundfield in 5.1. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do. Go for the KLF-C7 center channel. I have 2 of those as well and a pair of KSP-S6's. Sometimes you just get a little carried away.

I once won a Ubid auction for a pair of KLF30's for $800 shipped! Unfortunately both speakers arrived badly damaged and only one speaker worked. Since Ubid is an auction site they don't keep items in stock and only offer refunds on damaged items, I begged and pleaded with them to exchange them since they had multiple pairs for auction at the time but they said I couldn't do anything about it and I've never seen them sell that cheap again8.gif.