Svs Rock!!!

NOZ

Hi all,

Yea it's true what they all say, These things pound, great with music and better with surround.

Don't be shy with buying these, they are well worth it.

The wife is very good about things, but I've added and added, and when she felt the house shake 60 feet away from the HT room, she said "that's it no more stuff", I knew, I've finally got it right! hehehe!!!

Sean

------------------

NOZ SYSTEM

Fronts: Klipsch RF-7's

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Rears: Klipsch RS-7's

Projector: Infocus LP350

Screen: Draper Premier 96" x 72"

TV: Toshiba 37"

DVD: Toshiba SD 3107

Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 7000

CD: Sony CDP CX250

EQ: Harmon Kardon EQ-8

Sub: Dual SVS Ultras w/ samson 1000 watt amp

Spare/Back-Up: La Scalas

http://www.geocities.com/seanshometheatre/

WAY TO GO NOZ, I knew you would like these subs. I am watching LOTR's again tonight because the wife & daughter have gone camping 'cause wife doesn't work tommorrow and I have the house to myself so I get to watch it at referance levels. I definately recommend doing this at least once a month because the smile you get will last about that long. LOTR's is probably THE BEST movie to demo your U-2's with. They reproduce the bottom end flawlessly and are just amazing to listen to. Noz, did your costs work out about what I said they would? I hope so. As a side note, my wife was watching LOTR's with us on Saturday and threatened to leave the room unless I turned it down... Ha Ha, I only had it at -26. I usually listen at -10 to -2 so I laughed and turned it down to -32. It was a little hard to hear the dialoge but the bass still was firm and natural. Enjoy your subs Noz. I sure enjoy mine. cwm32.gifcwm17.gif

Take care

Rick

------------------

Mains RF-7

Centre RC-7

Surrounds RS-7

Rear Centre 2 x RS-7

Sub SVS-CS Ultra x 2

Receiver Denon AVR-5803

DVD Denon 2800

T.V. Sony KP57HW40 Widescreen

Computer Pro-Media 5.1

Rick,

They cost me about $3300 Canadian with shipping and $643-GST,PST,duties,brokeage fees,etc...

They really stick it to you.

I am very happy for under $4000 Canadian all taxes in they are a great buy.

Sean

------------------

NOZ SYSTEM

Smuggle them into Canada!!!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

Is Canada so great when you are paying $100's to pay for bloated government programs?

How much tax? Like a %%%?

Imagine having those in your car and customs stops you. Might get interesting...

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

Sorry everyone I've been playing all day with the SVS, OMG you've gota get em....

You will hear things in movies(feel things in movies), you've never heard before.

ROCK THE HOUSE!!!

Sean

------------------

NOZ SYSTEM

SVS-Ultra 2's Rule. I love my SVS. You gotta get SVS. My pant legs shake when I watch movies with my SVS. NOZ now swims with deep diving whales. Watch the pictures fall off the walls on the floor above. Shake rattle and roll. I'm in sub woofer heaven. NOZ is in sub woofer heaven. Anyone who buys SVS is in sub woofer heaven. Whoooo, that's a load off, I feel so much better.

Rick

------------------

Mains RF-7

Centre RC-7

Surrounds RS-7

Rear Centre 2 x RS-7

Sub SVS-CS Ultra x 2

Receiver Denon AVR-5803

DVD Denon 2800

Computer Pro-Media 5.1

Rick,

Subwoofer heaven is right. Where do you have your levels set for the SVS? They say crank the Samson and turn your sub on the receiver down to between -8 and around -3db, oh I'm sorry, it says that if you you listen to movies at moderate levels. Well strike that, reference level is the only way to fly.

Just curious to hear the way you've got them set up, since you have been playing with them for a while.

I know I have to get a proper level setting done, but what are your levels set at e.g. LF,RF,CENTER,WOOF(thats the one I like) etc...

I won't be able to calibrate for a few weeks, and being you've got about 55 wats more power/channel than I have, I've got a little more efficiency with the La Scalas up front, now that I've decided to keep them. It would be a pretty good estimate on front and sub levels. Oh and center.

Thanks Rick

Sean

------------------

NOZ SYSTEM

arfz,

The work great with the Las, but music isn't like HT movies, There is not as much bass, and shaking. Well there could be if I wanted to turn the sub up but that would sound unnatural.

Put it this way if you want more bass, I've got it.

And yes they blend perfectly with the La Scalas.

cheers

------------------

NOZ SYSTEM

The HK receiver automaticaly crosses it over, not sure at which frequency, I just use the sub pre-out.

I'll have to check the specs.

------------------

NOZ SYSTEM

Thanks for sharing your BASS-line excitement, NOZ... and I couldn't agree more!!!

I appreciate your noting that you prefer a natural sounding bass... So do I.. and my 7' Twin Ultra Tower blends perfectly with the KLF-30 based HT and the Klipschorn based music system... and provide adequate reference level bass that is transparent in transition of over 80 dB offerings.

While it's no fun paying tax penalties on imported products... few joys in life compare with the natural sound of reference level bass. It is this "naturalness" that leads me to rate dual SVS Ultras driven by a 1,000 watts ahead of other subs I have tried... even at many times the price.

The smaller size of SVS as a company and the Internet only sales strategy allows SVS to sell its subs at a lower price point than is likely when there well deserved reputation forces them to become a larger more conventional company. Now is a great time to get on board and let SVS put a sound bottom to your Klipsch HT or music system.

Make no mistake, I have no interest in SVS other than having been one of the fortunate few that bought from their very first SVS Ultra production run... and have never looked back... except to smile! -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg

HornED,

Great set-up, How do you like the ultras stacked? Any bracing needed? Better sound?

Sean

------------------

NOZ SYSTEM

NOZ... I tried to create the most simple, straight forward design that did not compromise the integrity of the dual Ultras. As usual, Tom Vodhanel gave me some key pointers.

Before I get into the mechanics, let me comment on the sound characteristics. My incentive to stack the Ultras was that I wanted to have a similar sound signature from each unit... and that was not as possible when they were side-by-side vying for the only "workable" bass corner in the room!

My thought (confirmed by Tom V.) was that if the speakers were mounted base-to-base, the single column would allow the vents to bounce off the floor and ceiling respectively. After trying the Twin Ultras in many different configurations... the stacked version brings far more sound benefits than any other I have tried.

The stand I made from parts of a chromed tripod "pot" stand that stood in the corner of my gourmet kitchen. I liked the idea of a tripod for stability with these big performers. The pot rack is basically flat chrome steel stock with "twist & bent feet" with a matching twist and bend at the top for appearance sake. The cross-pieces were also flat chrome steel with a bend so that the flat side of each cross-piece could be attached to the vertical piece.

In essence, if you had three flat stock pieces vertically (with drilled holes), you could attach three flat stock pieces (with holes drilled in each end) that have been curved so that one bolt and nut would hold a sandwich of cross-piece, vertical stock, cross-piece. Looking down from the top, with all the curves facing inward, the effect is a three-footed stand with a three-pointed star of cross-pieces to hold the speakers.

In my case, I used two sets of cross-pieces. Where the Ultra touched the cross-pieces I placed a piece of Dynamat (used with car speaker installations) to preclude any mechanical noices from vibration. The only change I made was to the bottom Ultra... and that was to remove the grill so that the Ultra would rest on the metal ring (another Tom V. suggestion). The top set of crosspieces are attached just underneath the inverted base of the lower Ultra (that steel rod is only about 3/8ths of an inch so that the excursion of the speaker does not contact the cross-piece. The bottom cross-piece was made of 1/2" flat stock steel.

The top Ultra just sits atop the inverted bottom of the bottom Ultra... again, I inserted some Dynamat to preclude the top Ultra from potentially "walking." You will note that the top portion of the vertical stock is high enough to make a three-sided "cage" for the top Ultra in the case of earthquakes. Not an LOL issue when living atop the San Andreas Fault. cwm34.gif

With the Twin Ultra Tower... not only do you get more bass for the buck... you get more bass for the floorspace! Try it, you'll like it! -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg

Thanks HornEd.

------------------

NOZ SYSTEM

Hi Noz,

Sorry it took me so long to respond to your question but I've been playing with my woofaz. I have all my speakers set to 76 db with a sound meter and the SVS's set 6 db hot at 82 db. My 5803 lets me set the base crossover to where I want so I have all the speakers set to large, I have the base management set to L.F.E. plus main and the crossover set to 40 hz. After much playing around, I find this setting the most pleasing. I strongly suggest you set everything up with a SPL meter as I was amazed how much difference setting things up with the meter made to the overall setup. Hope this helps with your set-up. Horned sure has a nice set-up. I sure would like to hear it. Maybe someday we can plan a camping trip to Horned's to watch mega movies on his Imax theatre super dooper surround sound earth shaking mega system.

Take care

Rick

------------------

Mains RF-7

Centre RC-7

Surrounds RS-7

Rear Centre 2 x RS-7

Sub SVS-CS Ultra x 2

Receiver Denon AVR-5803

DVD Denon 2800

Computer Pro-Media 5.1

ARFZ

I can also back up NOZ, HornED and the others to tell you that the SVS will work great with your LAS's.

With all the talk on this BBS about how powerfull the bass is, I was afraid of it overpowering the fullbodied wonderfull Heritage sound I enjoy.

I reciently purchased a pair of Ultra - 2's and the sound is a very natural low frequency extension of my Khorns.

I would compare the bass's powerfullness to how the midrange of your LAS sounds clear and detailed. It is a very musical and detailed subwoofer.

FYI - I have my processor sub crossover set to 80hz on my HT, since the SVS top is 100Hz and so efficent on the Bass. And - I do not use my SVS for 2 Channel listening.

I am very happy with my SVS system.

JM