Subwoofer options

stygz

I recently posted a couple months back when I was building a 3.1 system for my house. See my signature for the equipment I am using. We now have a new house being constructed. The living room will be about the same size BUT more of an open concept than I currently have. My current room volume is about 3900 cubic feet. The new home will have wood floors....I will have to get a rug or two put down. I have already picked up a set of Klipsch CDT-5650-CII for surrounds in the ceiling. My seating position will likely be closer than I currently is (about 12ft). I am either thinking a second SB1000 or a single SB2000. Thoughts? Also can I run dual wireless using the kit from SVS?

There are good wireless kits from a few places, but I do not know enough to recommend one. Im sure SVS could.

As far as single vs dual, since you already have a good sub now I would add a second just like it vs going to one that is more powerful. I have done testing in my home lately and in larger rooms the way duals can smooth out the 20-120hz freq response is pretty cool.

Dual subs can be ran wireless.  If the room is more open in the new house, there will be more sound lost in the subwoofer band FR.  I would get as much wooferage as possible and not plan on symmetrical placement of the subs.

If WAF is a major problem, consider transducer if you want to really feel the bass, consider them if you have not experienced them, lol.

Edited by derrickdj1

At least with the Klipsch you can run two subs with two wireless kits. What's weird though is that you can't just use one transmitter, you have to use two separate transmitters. The transmitter and receiver syncs up with each other somehow. Seems to me that you could just broadcast a radio signal and 10 different receivers could pick it up but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Duals will have more output.  You may get 3 db if they are in different spots in the room and 6 db if they are co-located, i.e. less than 1/4 wavelength apart.  To get a real increase in out it goes like this:, 2, 4, 8 and so on.  The other way is to get bigger and stronger subs.  Wooferage get's expensive and transducer can take the place of adding 3 or 4 more subs.

Don't get crazy. Transducers do not take the place of 3-4 subs. Transducers can add to the effect and make a runner experience like you have maybe bigger and a nearfield sub but I can promise you that if you added transducers or 3-4 more pb-1000's the two would be totally different.

They will feel a little different.  The PB 1000 is fairly modest and I would go larger rather than adding more small subs.  It takes around 105 db to get some good pressure down low with power and unless the subs are nearfield, that will be hard to do with room lost and distance.  I don't even give much weight to the 1 meter spec for subs since most of us don't use the subs at 1 meter.  The PB 1000 has a 300 watt amp and 10 inch driver, it is a good sub if the expectations are reasonable.

Edited by derrickdj1