enough power??

dwlnga

I just recently purchased a pair of SF-2 speakers and I think they sound great. Due to a baby on the way, I am on a fairly tight budget. I am powering these with a 40 watt Nad 711. Is this enough power to push these for the time being? I am gradually going to add more of the Synergy components when money permits. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, New User

These are very efficient speakers, so I would think it would be fine....just don't crank them to the point of distortion.

I used to run my Heresy's with a 50 watt Yamaha, I listened to them VERY loudly at times and never had a problem.

Take care

Mike

Once the baby arrives that will be more than enough power, since you won't be able to crank it up when sleeping.

Other than that it depends on how you listen to music. If you like it really loud you may push the amp to where it distorts. I have SF-2's that I have driven with both 75w and 110w Yamaha amps and most of the time I probably don't run more than 5w.

If it were me, I would save my money for other things (new babies require a lot of other things).

------------------

Jim

Family Room:

1979 La Scalas (mains), SF-2 Center (pair), RS-3 Surrounds, RC-3 Rear Center, KSW-10 Subs (pair)

Yamaha RX-V1 Reciever, Yamaha CDC-655 CD Player, Toshiba SD-1200 DVD, Toshiba TN50X81 50" HDTV

Living Room:

Yamaha RX-V590, 1978 Klipschorns Mainsc>s>

Welcome aboard dwlnga, & congradulations on your 1st purchase! I'm sure you'll be well pleased with them.

To answer your question I go back to what PWK himself once said. OK, I can't quote him exactly but the gist of it was that any 5 watt amp will drive any of his speakers. Has to do with their efficiency (96 db @ 1 watt/meter). This is the loudness you perceive sitting 1 meter in front of the speaker with the amp delivering 1 watt of power--pretty loud.

Now this is not a doubling thing--2 watts doesn't output 192 db's (per the above rating), it's a logrithmic expression (a little help with the formula guy's). With 40 watts those things will jam as I'm sure you already have found out

cwm11.gif!

PS: Congradulations on the other baby too!

As I have read,just to get 3 more dB, you must double your power. Regardless of your speaker. So for those SF-2s play 96 dB with one watt and 99 with 2 watts,102 at 4 and 105 dB at 8 watts. As least thats what I read. On this site you can find a chart. If you goto Home Audio FAQ and look at the efficent/power(or it might go the other way) This is were I got my info from. Hope this helps