How do you equalize on Windows?

I'm having a tough time deciding how I'd like to equalize on Windows. Both VLC and Windows Media Player have built in EQs, but neither is as fulfilling (i.e., particular) as I'd like. I also haven't had a lot of headway searching around for individual applications that can equalize the whole system. 

I'd really like to find something that would let me pinpoint on specific frequency bands. My big speakers would do well to shave off some treble, and my small ones are pretty resonant around 150hz. I know a good couple of people around here use their computers as a source, so what do you guys do?

My Asus motherboard has a built-in Nvidia High Definition Audio, so it goes OUT from the computer via 1/8th" jack (mini-jack) to RCA cable to my Pio AVR.

The Nvidia has can be controlled by Win 7's Speaker Properties.  Click on the speaker icon on your lower right hand side in the toolbar.  When it pops up click the speaker icon at the top.  This opens a menu to the Speakers Properties menu.

The Speaker Properties menu shows General Levels Enhancements tabs.  Choose Enhancements and you will find a tab for a ten-band equalizer.

My Nvidia has has its own app called VD Deck which has even more options.

Guest srobak

I use Equalizer APO.  It is textfile based - so it is a bit cumbersome... but it works fantastic and lets you enter in specific values instead of depending on sliders.

Took me all of 15 minutes to eq things the way I wanted them after downloading.  You will need to reboot after you install in order for it to hook into the OS - but it then EQs across all audio going out of your computer.  

I love it.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd just like to chime in on what I do.

First, I have a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD, so that is a big plus. My speaker system is just the ProMedia 2.1, but I use EQ for almost everything.

For general use, like just my handful of Windows feedback sounds and YouTube or other internet videos, I use Creative's Graphic Equalizer which is found in the Console Launcher - and I use the Entertainment Mode because I also use and enjoy the Crystlaizer and a couple of other simple enhancements.

I use Winamp 5.666 build 3516 for music, particularly (and only) retail music CDs. For that, I switch to Audio Creation Mode in the X-Fi Console Launcher (with Bit-Matched Playback enabled) and I use Winamp's built-in Graphic Equalizer without any other enhancements. I like it to be as pure as possible. I also use the Maiko WASAPI Plug-in for exclusive mode.

I use WinDVD Pro 11 for retail DVD playback (no Blu-rays for me yet), and I use Audio Creation Mode for this as well and I actually DON'T use any Graphic EQ for my movies because I have discovered that they all have a beautiful sound without any. I've come to learn the reason why I don't need any Graphic EQ is due to a much higher standard for sound in the movie industry.

That pretty much sums it up for me. If you want specifics on what frequencies I adjust and what levels they're adjusted to, then I can detail that too.