Has anyone built their own component cables? $270.00 is too expensive

m00n

I am going to need a run of cable about 30 feet. Got a price from a local audio store for some monster cable. They said it would be about $270.00. Wholly crapper I thought to myself.

So, with that, can these be home made? If so, what kind of wire, what kind of connections would you suggest?

Thanks all.

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

VIDEO: InFocus ScreenPlay DLP Projector

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

If you're handy with a soldering iron, go to your local electronics store or even something like Home Depot and pick up some RG-59 coax cable. It's 75 ohms and I believe that is what is used for component video as well as digital interconnects. Get some decent quality RCAs from your electronics store and solder them on the ends... that'll save you a ton of money.

------------------

- 1980 Cornwalls

- Consonance Ella w/EL34s

- Bottlehead Foreplay w/all upgrades

- Philips CD360 into a SoundStream DAC-1

- Sansui TU-9500 Tuner

Thrusti,

how would you expect the quality to compare to monster cables?

It's not that I CAN'T afford them, it's just that I DON'T want to afford them

Also, do you expect that your solution would look better than my monster s-video cable? It's a nice one. I paid $80.00 for it and it's 26 feet long.

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

i was wondering the other day...

how about using RG-6 cable and the RCA gold screw on adapter that connect as if you were screwing the RG-6 R-Type connector onto a TV. Any ideas on this? I was thinking of making some and trying them out.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

s>

IMHO Monster products are way overpriced, whatever product you are buying from them. Same goes for most similar "videophile" and "audiophile" products from other vendors.

You should be able to get a custom made 30' studio quality cable for around $100 at any of the companies that specialize in that kind of thing. Markertek has a 50' premade cable for about $40 that might work as well for you.

You can make cables that are as good at home. Just about any quality 75 ohm coax will work. A 30 foot run isn't all that long. Your home environment is not considered a particularly noisy environment. Cable could be RG-59, RG-6 or one of the mini 75 ohm coaxes. Use the appropriate 75 ohm RCA connectors for coax selected. The connectors have to be matched to the cable because the cables are different sizes. BTW you may have to search for 75 ohm RCA connectors. You won't find them at Radio Shack.

An alternative might be use use BNC connectors and BNC to RCA adapters. A 30 foot RGB cable with BNC connects is about $60 from Milestek. Add to that the price of 6 adapters and you should still be under $100. Shouldn't be a noticeable loss in signal quality.

FWIW, I have a custom cables from Miletek. BNC to BNC in the wall. BNC to RCA from the wall to the TV and from the wall to the AV receiver.

Yo - Look for pro audio stores in Portland (or just go to Seattle Smile.gif ) and they can probably make somthing better than Munstor Kabel-

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

You can use the Radio Shack coax cable that has teflon as insulator, but do do not use Radio Shack RCA connectors - they are audio connectors. I learned it the hard way, thought it "should" work -- I got a dramatic decrease in quality in video signal

BTW you should use at least a 100W soldering iron to solder the connectors to the cable.

Vladi

------------------

Front: RF-3 II

Center: RC-3 II

Surround: 2 Quintets

Subwoofer: RSW-10

Receiver: Sony STR-DA5ES

TV: Sony Wega KV-36FV27

Ya, I don't have a sodering gun or iron.... That kinda puts a kink in my plans to some degree.

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

quote:

Originally posted by vddobrev:

You can use the Radio Shack coax cable that has teflon as insulator, but do do not use Radio Shack RCA connectors - they are audio connectors. I learned it the hard way, thought it "should" work -- I got a dramatic decrease in quality in video signal

BTW you should use at least a 100W soldering iron to solder the connectors to the cable.

Vladi

i use the gold rated audio cables for my hdtv connection.... excellent

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

s>

What? Is the video input going to notice if the connector is for audio or video? Smile.gif

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

YES!! You can get some RCA branded cable that is made by Monster Cable (it is the same as their MV-2 cable) for only 19 cents a foot!! Search past threads here (look for ones that I have posted to) and you should fine a couple threads where I've already talked about this and given links to get the parts. A friend of mine took my advice and used this stuff to make some 25 foot component cables and he is very happy with them.

quote:

Originally posted by m00n:

Ya, I don't have a sodering gun or iron.... That kinda puts a kink in my plans to some degree.

Not really, because you can spend $40 on a good Weller soldering station and buy all the parts to make the cables and still end up spending FAR less than $270 -- and you've have a good soldering gun (for other projects) when you are done! Smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by vddobrev:

... but do do not use Radio Shack RCA connectors - they are audio connectors.

Exactly what is the difference between audio and video connectors? I believe the only difference is in the cable. Maybe it is just the fact those RS connectors suck. I've seen a lot of connectors and never once have I seen any marketed as "audio" or "video". That difference is in the cable itself.

Connectors are all the same, as in two same-priced audio or video ones.

------------------

quote:

Originally posted by m00n:

Hey thanks for the input STL.

Let me know if you have any questions (just post them here). If you have any good quality cables now, you should be able to unscrew the connectors to take a look at what is invloved. It's not rocket science, but use the markings on the cables (that are every foot) to make sure all three cables are the same length.

The difference between audio and video connectors is that audio connectors are not designed to match the characteristic impedance of the coaxial cable used in video connections. RCA plugs are also known as phono plugs. They were designed for low level audio use with shielded cable, not video with coax. I don't think I have ever seen a spec sheet for a traditional phono plug that even mentioned characteristic impedance. But apparently it is typically somewhere around 25 ohms. Only recently have manufacturers, like Canare, started offering phono plugs designed to have a characteristic impedance to match 75 ohm coax. So the reason you haven't seen RCA connectors labeled both audio and video is because they were all audio connectors to start with.

The problem with video cables is they act like a transmission line. If the source impedance, transmission line impedance, and load impedance are all the same, the signal is transmitted nicely. If there is an impedance mismatch, part of the signal is reflected back down the line, resulting in nasty things like ghosts, problems with edges, etc. Ever connect a camcorder to the video input of a TV and notice the picture had a bit of a ghost? That is the result of an impedance mismatch.

IMHO the manufacturers should never have used phono connectors for video in consumer products. The decision favored cost, size and consumer acceptance over video quality. They should have used BNC connectors. It has been a long time since I was in a studio, but I don't remember seeing phono connectors used for video anywhere.

If all connectors of the same price are the same, why would a manufacturer offer 50 ohm BNC connectors and 75 ohm BNC connectors with the same price in the same product line?

As far as construction goes, I think you are facing buying a soldering iron or appropriate crimper, depending on the connector you choose, if you want long term reliablity.

quote:

Originally posted by Malcolm:

I stand corrected (or so it seems). May I ask just where and how is this impedance measured? I know it's not 50/75 ohm between the center and outer conductor, and I wouldn't expect it to be 50/75ohm between each end of the center conductor -- so I'm at a loss on exactly how these connectors are measured to get their ratings.