la scalas or cornwalls?

bullsprig

I have been trying to find some Khorns or La scalas. I never thought about cornwalls. I didn't consider them as horns. After reading these posts I wonder if I have been wrong. I can get a set of of La Scalas for less than 700 bucks. Now I wonder if I should get Cwalls instead. Of course I could keep looking for some cornerhorns. Any thoughts?

------------------

If it's in stock we got it!!

Bullsprig,

I would recommend the Khorns first. As far as La Scala vs. Cornwalls, you'll find a very loyal following for both. Some prefer the Cornwalls, some prefer the La Scala. Neither one is necessarily wrong. It really depends on what your own ears tell you. Application and musical taste also makes a difference. There are plenty of posts on this subject. Just do a search: Cornwall La Scala.

Andy

This message has been edited by Klipschguy on 08-15-2002 at 09:58 AM

Cornwalls are as close to the K-horns as you can get!

Klipschorns are just totally intense.

Like i said in one of my posts, your happy with a set of klipsch untill you hear bigger!

La Scalas rock N roll, those are some serious sounding speakers, just a high low end, bass not as deep as the cornwalls!

So if you can pick up Klipschorns, then the worry about what sounds better is over LOL!

Andy, youd love the K-horns!

I have chorus speakers here also, these would seriously rock the house, another case of a higher low end, 45Hz!

I dont think the human ear can hear bass much deeper than the Klipschorn!

Did you guys know that women can not hear bass below a certain level, our ears go deeper!

Which is part of the reason why not many women are into Klipsch, nor on the board, they dont care for the horns, its too bright, and ear peirching to them!

To them, the singers sound like they have a head cold!

My wife can not hear the low end of the K-horns!

She can feel it instead!

She also stated that the chorus have more bass than the Klipchorn, i just looked at her!

I dont think my wife is as happy with the Klipschorns, as she was with the cornwalls!

The only 2 female audiophiles ive run into was Mystery guest, steves wife, and clueless, it took my wife 9 years to get into it, it was just speakers to her for years!

Now what would you call an audiophiles system!

A stereo, is something you get all in one, like rent to own, or a boom box!

Audiophiles system one speaker costs more than all that put together!

So no i dont have a stereo, I have a soundsystem!

So my advice is to pick a set of speakers, and stay away from hearing the next in line!

I would of been just as happy as heck with 4 chorus, only problem is ive heard the cornwalls first!

My freind has the KG4s, very nice speakers, owned them 14 years, and also has my set

making his 2 sets, he has heard my cornwalls, but never changed a thing, he still has the KG4s!

Regards Jim

This message has been edited by Jim Cornell on 08-15-2002 at 07:19 PM

Anyone have any pics of cornwalls? I would like to see what they look like. I looked in the klipsch photo gallery but didn't see any.

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

VIDEO: InFocus ScreenPlay DLP Projector

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

Jim, I think you're on to something about the female response to bass (not to be confused with sitting on the washer during the spin cycle).

After setting up the Khorns in the living room with the Eico, I couldn't believe my ears. I invited my wife into the room, and while she loved the sound, she said it was a little light on bass. I said, "What????" She just couldn't hear it. I think the Khorns sound wonderful, but then again, maybe she was just spoiled with Cornwalls/Belle in the front, a sub-woof and Heresies in the rear. Sounds pretty fine.

------------------

"Bullsh*t!"

-PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

Eico HF-81

Eico HFT-90

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (KCBR's & ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Now you all are seriously on to something. I thought it was just a thing between my wife and myself. K-horns, Belle and CW's all in one room and she thumbs nose......'ah...I guess it sounds alright....whatever makes you happy...'

Then I get a pair of Forte II's on the cheap for the front room and she goes bananas. Loves them. "THESE really sound great. Waaaaay better than those big 'things'" "Why don't we just get a bunch of THESE for the HT?" Sheeeeesh.

------------------

Ed

I have the Cornwalls, heard the LaScalas and now the Khorns in the same room with the same discs and equipment. The LaScalas are definitely more of the Klipsch sound. It has the larger mid-range horn. While this is a subtle difference, it is an important one.

The larger horn offers a clearer, smoother, larger and wider image, with a bigger, slightly more open soundstage. IT is more of the Khorn sound. Although the LaScala is kinda of a raw looking speaker (with its folded exposed horn) I loved the looks of it in yellow Birch with dual vents on either side of the folded horn. They do not look or sound like any other loudspeaker on the mass market. The mid-range competes with some very expensive dream systems I have heard. Their clarity, smoothness and large, open imaging is more like Martin-Logan Statements ($70K) than Nearfield Pipedreams ($100K).

I loved the LaScala sound and think that at less than $1K, they are cheap to the market, especially compared to what used Khorns fetch these days. Their ultra-efficiency (104 dB/w/m) makes LaScalas very attractive to tubies like me, especially if they are running the delicate and flea powered 2A3 tubes.

The perceived weakness in the bass, due to a folded horn bass bin rather than the vented bass of the Cornwall, is easily made up with an active deep-bass woofer, which both models need, and the Khorn can use, anyway.

My Cornwalls suffer from a 5-8kHz bounce from the B2 crossover and the room acoustics which makes them sound both bright and real. If I had either Cornwalls or LaScalas, I would shoot for the ALK crossovers.

With its grilles on the Cornwall is an imposing big black box, the LaScalas look like horns. I think Tom Brennan said it best in one of his many posts: buy the biggest and best horns you can afford and have room for.

------------------

Colin's Music System Ak-2 Khorns & Klipsch subs; lights out, tubes glowing & smile beaming!