Thought I'd Post This for those that might be interested

MyOwn

tough times maybe? 16 output tubes also tells you a lot with that many output tubes anyone would want them to be cost effective. Just imagine if you had to buy 16 300B tubes you would need to have a healthy line of credit for that one. Sound like it will be a very nice amplifier well worth listening to, you can do a lot with a dozen solid watts, and the entry cost (in this case) is easy.

• Like 3

I am wondering why the trend to "cheap" alternatives?

My guess is because the EL509 isnt cheap, cost me 322 for 8 last year

In reading the post at the link it seems to me that Bruce wanted an inexpensive option with tubes that are made by all manufacturers and are easily obtainable all over the world to possibly appeal to a larger consumer base that may be scared away from some of the more expensive tube options.  However, for those old stock tube rollers, the EL34/6CA7 tubes can get very expensive fast. 

EL34/6CA7 Mullard nickel base, early production with 1950s date code bring close to $500 a pair. If you can even find 8 pair the price would be about $4,000 for the tubes alone.

EL34/6CA7 Amperex Holland nickel base, early production with mid 1950s date codes can bring over $400 a pair.

EL34/6CA7 Mullard shield logo XF1 date code, hole in centering pin, large dark brown Micanol base can bring over $400 a pair.

EL34/6CA7 Mullard made, dark brownbase, XF2, dual halo getter. Blackburn UK factory codes can bring over $300 a pair.

• Like 1

I'm with Bruce on the less expensive route.  The lower the cost the more likely a person is to give something a try.  I've gone in the same direction over the past 15-20 years by using inexpensive, readily available, tubes and have eliminated the chokes in many designs (that alone can save as much as $80 or more in a pair of mono amps).  Not needing output xfmrs provides a very large cost saving, but that is negated somewhat by the number of tubes needed.  Anyone on here using OTL with their Klipsch speakers?  I'd like to read your comments on how they sound vs. more typical amp designs.

Maynard